San Luis Obispo or Morro Bay?

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 07:30 PM
k

San Luis Obispo or Morro Bay?

will be flying into SLO and heading N to SF area... will stay in SLO area wed pm and thur pm to hit the thur market. should we stay in SLO or head down to Morro Bay and drive back and forth to SLO? any suggestions for either place would be greatly appreciated
thanks!

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 08:29 PM
Russ

Morro and SLO are so close together that you could stay in either place and enjoy both with little hassle. The advantage of staying IN SLO would be that you could walk to the SLO attractions and leave the car behind.

I'd base the decision on this... if you would like to stay in some place with more natural, secluded beauty then stay in Morro. If a great small-town environment with lots of quaint shops and eateries within walking distance appeals to you more, then stay in SLO. Then again, you have to factor in price as well.

If it were up to me, I'd stay in SLO... and try to make that night a Thursday which is Farmers' Market night along the main drag in town. It is a very charming event, really unique living example of old-time, small town California with a modern, college-town twist. A feast for the eyes and stomach! If you want to do Morro, do it on your way out of SLO and up to SF. Morro is such a small town, perhaps entertaining enough for a morning walk, and then you could set out for the rest of your journey northward. Happy Travels!

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 08:41 PM
lynette

I agree with Russ! I live just 10 minutes south of SLO and I was going to post, but he covered it all. The charm is in the walking... stay downtown and take a horse drawn carriage ride! (The company is called Noland's Carriages.)For night, I would try the Garden Street Inn (805)545-9802.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 08:49 PM
k

thanks, Russ and Lynette - I just happened upon the market info by doing a search on this sight... we really hadn't planned to any further south than Big Sur, but the whole SLO/Morro/Cambria area looks too interesting to pass up!
thanks again -

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 08:58 AM
GP

K

You can not get a room with a ocean view in SLO. You can in Morro Bay. This may or may not make a difference. I usually stay in Morro Bay or Cayucos because I love the beach.

Have Fun
GP

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 09:21 AM
xxx

If you want a different experience than just another town go to Morro Bay. There are nice places to stay by the water with nice restaurants, my favorite is the Galley, with a view of Morro rock. Fish and chips are the best in CA. You can walk along the waterfront and totally relax. It is close enough to spend a night in each place and only about 30 miles to Hearst Castle and the beach where the Elephant Seals "hang".

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 02:39 PM
my

Personally I prefer the relaxing atmosphere of Morro Bay. Small town feel with the advantage of the water right there. SLO is fine for a day, but it's the same old stuff...Gap, Barnes & Noble, Office Depot, Best Buy. The place is getting overloaded with every day retailers. Who wants walk around a quaint downtown only to find a Ross store? Market Night is fun, but it's a very easy drive from Morro Bay.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 03:07 PM
k

thanks for all the info! just what i needed to know...