Itinerary from/to San Fran

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2010, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We arrive in San Francisco on 4/12 and depart from there at midnight on 4/19. Have reservations in Visalia on Fri. and Sat. 4/16 and 17. Need recommendations on what to do before the weekend. We were in SF a few years ago, so won't go there this trip. For Sunday night, before departure on Monday, I'd like to stay on the coast a bit closer to the airport. Thanks for any recommendations.
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 07:53 AM

>>

Ummm, why? I mean, do you need to be in Visalia for some particular reason?

>>

I assume you mean the coast, as in ocean (not bay). The coast is not closer to the airport than the city of San Francisco (look at googlemaps). Your best bet would probably be Half Moon Bay, which is a very nice little town (good shopping, restaurants, beaches for walking) about 1/2 hour from the airport. There's a Ritz-Carlton there, not sure what else (I live nearby, so don't stay in hotels there).
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 08:38 AM

I was wondering about Visalia as well - family event or something?

Since you have 4 nights before you need to be in Visalia - I would head down the coast to Monterey/Big Sur, something like this:

4/12: Arrive SFO and head south toward Monterey. If you arrive at SFO mid-day, then stop in Santa Cruz or Capitola on the way down. If you arrive later, then just go straight to Monterey. Monterey, Pacific Grove, and Carmel are all close together, so all are good choices to stay for visiting this area.

4/13: In Monterey area - plenty of things to do here - just depends on what you are most interested in.

4/14: Drive through Big Sur - make a whole day of this, stoping often along the way. Stay in Cambria, Morro Bay, or San Luis Obispo

4/15: Depending on your interests - tour Hearst Castle, head over to the Santa Ynez valley for wineries, go down to Pismo Beach... Stay in Cambria, Morro Bay, or San Luis Obispo again.

4/16: Head over to Visalia.

For your last night before flying home, Half Moon Bay would be my pick too. It is a neat little town on the coast. In addition to the Ritz (which is too rich for my blood) there are several B&Bs, small hotels, and motels there. It will take you about 4-4.5 hours to get to HMB from Visalia.
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 08:41 AM

There are quite a few B&Bs & smaller hotels in Half Moon Bay. There's a nice/modest (not in Ritz price range) hotel with ocean views & beach access next to Sam's Chowder House - about 7 mins north of the intersection of #1 & #92. Probably don't need reservations for Sun 4/18.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. We have to be in Visalia on Fri. and Sat. night for a convention. Had thought about visiting Kings Canyon and/or Sequoia and maybe staying at a B&B we found near Sanger. Just not sure if that is close enough and/or too much or too little time. Like the idea of Half Moon Bay so will check out your recommendations. The Ritz will probably be a bit too ritzy. So much appreciate your ideas.
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 10:30 AM

If you choose to go to Sequoia/Kings Canyon, I would stay in the park, not in Sanger for that part of the visit. Sanger is in the valley and the parks are up in the mountains, so you'd have quite a drive back and forth.

I had originally thought of suggesting Sequoia and Kings Canyon, but the weather in April can still be iffy. The park web site says spring doesn't really get to the parks until mid-April. Snow is actually in the forecast next week at Kings Canyon. Along the coast, spring is in full bloom though.
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 11:00 AM

I remember long drive from Sanger to Sequoia... may be too far from the park for an overnight stay.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your input.....convinced me to see Monterey area and probably the Hearst Castle before heading over to Visalia. Love these boards and all the great information you can get here.