Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Francisco Sir Francis Drake or another hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2007, 05:22 PM
moo
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As my friend's wedding reception at the Sir Francis Drake approaches, I need to solidify my hotel accommodations (for 2 adults). I am very leary about the accommodations at the Sir Francis Drake. So I need to make a choice between that or other area hotels. Please help me choose between the following:
Sir Francis Drake (has anyone stayed there recently?),
Crown Plaza Union Square,
JW Marriott (old Pan Pacific),
Grand Hyatt Union Square,
Omni (not at Union Square).
Additionally, how is the parking at the Sutter-Stockton Garage? Costs, safe, etc. ? Thanks for your help
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 08:40 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"I am very leary about the accommodations at the Sir Francis Drake" What are you leery about? It is a decent hotel in a great location. But if you have specific concerns - they are??

As for Sutter/Stockton - last time I parked there it was $33 for 24 hrs.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 09:08 PM

Hh moo, I have stayed at the Sir Francis Drake more than once and I personally do not care for it. The desk is rather shall we say "non interestred" regarding their guest and the rooms have left a lot to be desired.

Going with the hotels you have listed I would stay at the Grand Hyatt Union Square. You can park at the Sutter-Stockton Garage..safe, yes as far as I know, or at the Union Sq. garage. Or you can use the valet parking that the Grand Hyatt offers.

My personal choice btw, which you did not list moo is the Villa Florence, just two blocks down from the Sir Francis Drake on Powell St., another Kimpton Hotel in case you want to go to their website and check it out. Another Kimpton Hotel on Geary, a couple of blocks west of Union Sq. on Geary is the Hotel Monaco.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 09:25 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I've also stayed at the SFD - and have not had bad experiences w/ the desk staff. But as I said it is "decent" but not over the top great. I only stay there when I get a good rate.

I agree w/ LoveItaly the Villa Florence would be a good choice.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 05:24 AM

We've stayed at the Grand Hyatt Union Square and loved it. If you go to the Hyatt website and click "other special offers" you might see if there are any specials listed. We've gotten half price on a senior rate, but I suspect that won't help you. They do have other nice offers from time to time, though.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 03:03 PM

Moo, Hotel Vitale is not mentioned but recently stayed there. Its located across from the Ferry Building and highly recommend it. Great location, beautiful views, modern decor with nice amenities, and a front desk that was alway willing to help with a smile.
www.hotelvitale.com
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 03:18 PM

I fond those who work at the desk at the Sir Francis Drake to be unpleasant--even hostile so as to deter one for asking a favor (such as a quiet room, because many are noisy).
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 03:23 PM

I meant to say that all parking in downtown San Francisco is extremely expensive, but I think it is better to use the valet service at your hotel than to try to save money by using the Sutter-Stockton Garage. For one thing, there are wonderful drives in San Francisco, and, if you use your valet, you will have in-and-out privileges.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 08:39 PM
mjs

I have stayed at the JW Marriott about 2 years ago when it was the Pan Pacific and thought it was a nice solid 4 star hotel. Have stayed at the Grand Hyatt several times and it is an ok Hyatt, call it 4 star-.
Have not stayed at the Hilton, SFD, Omni or Crowne Plaza.
The Westin St. Francis is ok if you get one of their newer rooms. Call it 4 star-. The Nikko and Sheraton Palace are pretty decent with a solid 4 star rating from me. The Villa Florence is a 3 star hotel IMHO. Am trying out the Meridian in March. Parking is expensive in all these hotels and I am not sure it is worth parking at Sutter/Stockton garage to save $5 to $10/day.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 09:03 AM

Omni is in the financial area, unless need to stay close to a business, I wouldn't recommend it. On weekdays parking is impossible to find even in a garage, on weekends it's a desert area!
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 01:17 PM

How about the Prescott or the Donatello? Good area adjacent to but not right on Union Square, both get good marks for cordiality and service.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 08:27 PM

My experience at Sir Francis Drake was very bad. Sir Francis Drake was the hotel booked by a third party company using Expedia. Sir Francis Drake refused the room and did not contact Expedia and made no accomodations elsewhere, leaving me to sleep in San Francisco without Hotel accomodations. My meeting was cancelled as a result, resulting in financial loss, back pain, sleep deprivation during my stay in San Francisco. The clerk is named Mike and he did not honor the expedia prepaid reservation made by the company which had flown me to san francisco. They are currently in the process of being sued.