Daniel Island Hampton Inn for Charleston?

Jan 8th, 2007, 12:36 PM
TAW
Original Poster

Daniel Island Hampton Inn for Charleston?

Is this a good place to stay for visiting Charleston for 4 days in late April? Any feedback appreciated. Thanks in advance
Jan 8th, 2007, 02:03 PM

Daniel Island is pretty far out if you are planning to visit downtown Charleston. If at all possible, I would try to stay downtown in the historic district. If you can't swing that, a hotel in Mt. Pleasant would be closer than Daniel Island.
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:36 PM

I agree with Betsy. It is an inconvenient location to downtown Charleston. You would have to drive back and forth on interstate 526 and highway 17 everyday which get pretty congested. There is a Hampton Inn downtown.
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:14 PM
TAW
Original Poster

Oh dear...it's almost twice as much to stay downtown. I got a rate on Daniel Island for less than $500 total for 4 nights. Same nights downtown are almost $900. For that difference I guess I'll have to suck it up and do the drive to town. We probably won't be going into downtown EVERY day we're there since we plan on seeing surrounding areas also. Thanks for the 'heads up' anyway. On the website Daniel Island looks like a very nice area.
Jan 10th, 2007, 04:52 AM

The Charleston Riverview Hotel near the Citadel is being refurbished to make it a Marriott. The rooms and beds are NEW. Until it becomes a Marriott they have been running specials from $69 to $89 a night. The hotel overlooks the Ashley river and the marina. It is far away from the historic section but is on the peninsula and connected by the bus system. Their number is 800-486-3148. Right across the river is my favorite place to eat California Dreaming.
Jan 10th, 2007, 05:32 AM
GoTravel

Check with the Andrew Pinckney Inn.

Your trip to Charleston will suck if you don't stay downtown.

I live about an hour outside Charleston and my husband and I frequently head down for overnight trips. This fall someone gave us two nights right outside downtown and we had to drive in and out every day.

It didn't feel like the same town. Never again.

You'd be better off cutting your trip short one night and staying downtown than staying wwaayyyy out on Danial Island.

It is a haul to downtown.

Jan 12th, 2007, 09:05 AM
TAW
Original Poster

Thank you for pointing me to the Andrew Pinckney Inn...I can afford that and it does look very nice. I will make reservations for there instead of Daniel Island Hampton Inn.
Thanks again!
Jan 12th, 2007, 02:50 PM
TAW
Original Poster

Another question please...should I keep part of my Daniel Island reservation (2 nites)for seeing other areas AROUND Charleston and then do 2 nites at Andrew Pinckney Inn FOR CHARLESTON? That would save a little money. The rates changed on me in the last few hours before I had a chance to book. We're going to Savannah after Charleston then to St Augustine. Thanks again.
Jan 25th, 2007, 04:57 PM

This might be too late but....no, I wouldn't. Daniel Island is still out of the way even if you go to other areas (like the plantations) outside of downtown Charleston. It is the opposite direction and will put you even further away.
Jan 25th, 2007, 08:27 PM
TAW
Original Poster

No, you are not too late...I've been patiently waiting for an answer. I guess I'll cancel my Daniel Island reservation and keep the whole time in Charleston at the Andrew Pinckney Inn. Thanks!