San Francisco packing help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What should I pack/wear next week in San Francisco? A five day sightseeing trip- 1st time.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 10:29 AM

Whatever you wear in Baltimore should be fine. Be prepared for highs in the 60s. Layering works all year in San Francisco.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 10:36 AM

Bring a warm jacket for evenings. It gets really chilly (and breezy) as soon as the sun sets.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 10:38 AM

I agree - layers - this should include a jacket.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 10:43 AM

Get Dr. Scholl inserts for your shoes, you will walk alot more than you realize and they will save you. Enjoy !!
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 11:09 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There is a warming trend inland the rest of this week. If it is still hot next week - plan for cool-ish to cold weather in SF including some fog. But it can also be lovely. (Generally, in the summer the hotter in the central Valley, the cooler in SF)

So definitely layers - and have something quite warm for evenings.

We can sort of pinpoint the visitors in SF in the summer: They are the ones in shorts w/ blue knees and brand new sweatshirts
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 11:41 AM

I found this about the Kim's misadventure:

Three times, we passed large yellow signs warning that snow may completely block the roadway.

Eventually, we came to a fork in the road where a tiny sign -- almost invisible unless you actually stop the car and focus on it -- pointed the way to the Oregon Coast. The sign pointed left. The Kims drove right.

This was obviously the wrong direction. It was one lane, no guardrail, no markings, no "winding road ahead" signs, no speed limit signs, no nothing.

During our daylight journey, the road was so hazardous, so covered with snow and ice that a CNN satellite truck operator refused to continue, fearing the truck could go over the side.

The pavement began to break up, then turn to gravel, and finally to dirt.

This was an old logging road used only in summer by lodge owners hauling supplies. In winter, it was not generally in use.

In fact, beginning November 1 a gate usually blocked the road. Somebody must have broken the lock and left the gate open. Had it been shut and locked, the Kims could not have gone down the road at all.

But they did. Twenty miles down that desolate road, James and Kati Kim and their two young daughters found themselves stranded in the snowy wilderness.

By the time we came to the spot they stopped, our four-wheel-drive vehicle was being battered on both sides by overhanging branches and bushes.

This is where the Kims stayed for nine days, and the spot from which James Kim set off on foot on a journey into the Oregon wilderness that resulted in his death.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:44 PM

Dear BaltoGirl,

Bring a jacket with some room underneath it for a light sweater - much better than a heavy coat or jacket. A lightweight leather for an outer layer would be perfect. San Francisco is one city where you can wear wool and leather year round.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 08:01 PM

Yes, when you come to San Francisco, don't think "summer"...think early spring and late fall.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 08:16 PM

Layers. Ideally, your outer layer be something wind/water proof. You don't want to come back with a spur of the moment San Francisco sweatshirt like I did my first summer there.

Wear sneakers and bring your energy.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 12:47 PM

In the city only, layers: light sweater, a wind-proof jacket, very comfortable shoes. Maybe an evening top/shoes.

We never have summer in San Francisco in June.

If going out of the city, summer outfits.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 12:50 PM

I'm not sure of the reason for the Kims reference.

It's true that a remark erroneously attributed to Mark Twain - "the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco" can often be very apt but conditions wont be that bad.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 12:58 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
FainaAgain, re: "if going out of the city, summer outfits."

I have to modify that, because a Baltimorean's definition of "summer outfit" may be quite different from our definition. It's gloriously sunny & clear where I am today (15 miles south of the city), but I am wearing sweats and a T-shirt while working outside -- and I'm very comfortable, not at all hot.

The everpresent breeze off the bay is something out-of-towners don't factor in when they pack their "summer" clothes for SF suburbs.

So...OP: layers. The warmest it might get is warm enough to wear a sleeveless dress, but you're not going to be in any heat wave!
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 01:21 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
supercilious: I think happytrailstoyou just posted to the wrong thread

It was meant to go here http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35014173
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 02:18 PM

It's true that San Francisco will not be having summer weather compared to Baltimore and it is essential to pack accordingly!
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 03:51 PM
SAB

The deal with SF weather is that nice weather--clear, highs in the low 70's-- will not last more than 3 days then it gets cold and foggy. So hence the need for layers. BTW all posters are talking about SF itself--not Marin, the East or South Bay, which have completely different weather patterns. Heck, one side of the City can have different temperatures than the other--again hence the need for layers.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 04:05 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
I wasn't talking about SF itself, SAB. I was referring to the Peninsula....where the temperatures have risen since I posted 2 hours ago!
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 01:35 PM
SAB

OK most of the posters were refering to SF weather.