this June. (it's my first time there)
I'm going with some friends, and we will
be doing the typical touristy sightseeing,
as well as the not so touristy!

Thank you!
Anne

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 09:08 AM
lindy

Remember what Mark Twain said...the coldest winter I ever felt was summer in San Francisco!!! This month can be misty, foggy, terribly romantic and mysterious, but damp and dark. Be sure to bring some layers so you can put on and off as needed. Don't worry though, you will certainly pop over to Napa for a day where it is going to be very very hot and you will take pleasure in going into the cool wine caves to get away from the blazing sun.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 09:25 AM
SFgal

Welcome to SF, Anne. Lindy's info is right on. The Bay Area is unusual weather-wise, in that there're many micro climates in the area. The temp can be in the 50s and 60s in SF and in the 80's and 90s in surrounding areas. It has to do with the gradient between the inland heat and seaside coolness pulling cold air in through the Golden Gate. So bring layers and you'll be fine, or you can "shop till you drop" for anything you need here.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 11:22 AM
Sam Clemens

Anne,

Not to criticize lindy, but what I actually said was, "The coldest summer I ever spent was a winter I spent in San Francisco". I had another one about San Fran that I thought was a real corker but, somehow, never caught on. It went like this: " The best rump-roast I ever had was a lasagna I ate in San Francisco". You can quote me.

Sam (I am)

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 12:54 PM
gail

We were in SF for 7/4. Nearly froze to death waiting to see fireworks. Bring layers. 2 days later we were all wearing shorts and sitting at PacBell Park at a baseball game.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 07:02 PM
AJ

To "dress in layers" I would add "and no matter how sunny it is, always carry a jacket." San Francisco is a city on the water and the temperature can drop fast. On any given day you can stand by the cable car line and count the tourists wearing tank tops and shorts and shivering in the fog.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 08:24 PM
Donna

When heading out for the day, your best bet is to get dressed and bring along something very, very, warm, along with something waterproof and/or an umbrella. What you want to drag about all day depends upon how much you care to drag around all day and just how miserable you think you'll be without it. If any of your plans include some sort of boat excursion, plan to pile it on! Otherwise, you'll be constrained to hanging out way inside and missing all the spectacular views.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 09:15 PM
dana

Don't forget to bring your parka!

The weather is exceedingly unpredictable
in June. There's always lots of fog
in S.F. June is actally cooler than
September or October (our best weather)
There won't be any rain in June, but maybe "mist" from the fog. I'd recommend
bermuda shorts, and a t-shirt with a sweat shirt over it, and tennis shoes and socks (not open toe shoes!!!!) too cold -- Also, at Fisherman's Wharf and the touristy areas they sell those sweat shirts that zip up the from for around $12.95 that say "Alcatraz" or
"Fisherman's Wharf"
Probably an average of 65 degrees that time of the year. 55 in the a.m. and 65 for a HIGH.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 10:33 PM
mike

Everybody here has been right on. Anne--you'll be fine as long as you realize there is no summer in San Francisco, so don't be disappointed.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 09:56 AM
lizbeth

A real San Franciscan never leaves the house without a jacket.
Seriously, though, Anne - the posters above are in the main correct.
June can have some clear, hot weather (by hot we mean '80s, dry, not humid).
June can also be the start of the summer fog pattern. With some exceptions, the rainy season is long over by June.
The temperature can change 10-15 degrees from morning to afternoon. There are very few times when it is warm at night. Remember we have the Bay on two sides and the Pacific Ocean on another, so we almost always have a breeze.
Bring a jacket, a sweater that can layer underneath, and then shirts and t-shirts. Chino-weight slacks or light wools are fine.
Have fun, and let us know if you have other questions.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 10:20 AM
Linda

I am from Boston but was transfered to SF for a year.

There is no such thing as "a hot summer night". I never wore shorts or was without a jacket while I was in the city.

Amazing, since you could take a short drive over to Walnut Creek for 100+ hot temperatures!!

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 02:42 PM
Anne

Thank you so much for all the replies to my post!
So I guess I won't be packing any shorts!
I just bought a light spring jacket with a hood, so I'll bring it with me.
Thanks Again!

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 03:10 PM
Faina

Anne, if you wear pants you can get a pair with detachable bottoms (you unzip them in the knees area and they become shorts) - if you're going out of the city you may need them. Also if you get sunburned easily make sure you have a light cotton long-sleeve shirt. To walk on the bridge take a windbreaker (with a cotton lining is the best). Sweaters are good but they can't beat a windbreaker. And don't wear anything with "San Francisco" on it, you'll get lots of funny stares. This is how we can tell tourists from locals.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 03:45 PM
kam

I would leave the umbrellas and real rain gear behind in June. Rainy season is over. The greatest invention for SF so far has been the fleece jacket. Don't leave the hotel without one! I've never worn shorts in the city--it's just never that warm. And, don't forget really good comfortable walking shoes---you'll most likely be walking a lot and hiking up and down the hills. Typically "June gloom" has a heavy fog layer in the morning that burns off about 11-12 noon and then reappears at about 4-5pm. If the wind off the ocean picks up you could be easily looking at low 50s and windy during the evening. Also, in terms of style, SF tends to be a little dressier than some tourist destinations but not formal. Men will never really need a tie, in some selected restaurants, they require a jacket, but that's rare. A nice pair of slacks and a "dress shirt" will do.Lots of black and lots of linen for the evenings for ladies. Our weather has little to do with that of the weather back East. Have a great trip.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 03:58 PM
sue

We can always spot the tourists in June -- they're the ones in shorts!

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Susan

Shorts will be useful, though, if you leave the city in June. Everywhere else around the city will be warm and sunny, that's the conundrum with San Francisco. Layers!

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 04:25 PM
bobonthis

Hot pink is always welcome in the city where brothers make love!

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 08:33 PM
xxx

or black...This ubiquitous California fashion statement means no need to change clothes when attending funerals.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 02:03 PM
Anne

OK, hot pink (LOL), black clothes, layers, a warm sweater and a windbreaker! Thank you so much for all your replies, I enjoyed reading all of them!! This is very helpful!!

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 02:27 PM
Faina

What LOL? I do own a pair of hot pink socks! The problem is it wouldn't match anything... sigh...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -