Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Francisco or San Diego for Valentine's Day?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2007, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
Hubby and I have a credit on United that will expire soon. We can take a long weekend (Thu - Sun) over Valentine's to either of these cities.

We have only been to California once before (Santa Monica, Palm Springs, and Laguna).

We're not big museum people. We will mainly want to just experience the feel of the place. We like to walk, eat, people watch, do some touristy things. We're in our mid (okay, late) 40's and in good physical condition.

Any thoughts on a preference?

Thanks,
H
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 06:56 AM

I've lived in both places and I guess I think that SF would provide a more interesting long weekend. It certainly is a walking city vs. San Diego which is far more spread out and disparate. Also, you can't beat the dining opportunities. SF is likely to be colder and maybe wetter.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 07:01 AM

If it's about the weather, San Diego will win hands down, but SF is pretty temperate -- not likely to be "freezing", etc.

BUT there is no comparison in my book for a fun weekend -- SF all the way. It is Valentine's Day, however, so it will be OK if you leave your heart there.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 07:46 AM

I was in San Francisco at Valentine's Day over 2 years ago. My husband bought me a wind resistant umbrella at Sharper Image. So that tells you how the weather was that weekend. Though the temps were mild, and it was scattered showers as I recall. I'd choose San Francisco, as it would be more of contrast to your previous CA trip.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 07:48 AM
TahitiTams

Native San Diegan but love San Francisco..
You could have fun at either great city..
SF..stay at the St. Francis or Fairmont and have some great dinners in the city..
SD..Stay at the Hotel Del in Coronado or Grande Colonial in La Jolla and then dinner at George's or Market Del Mar..
Whale Watching in SD or hike Torrey Pines.
Valentine's is crazy to dine anywhere and I just hate to go out that night!

hoteldel.com
thegrandecolonial.com
sdhe.com
torreypine.org

Old Dec 30th, 2007, 02:27 PM

Hard to choose.

San Francisco is a very walkable and cosmopolitan city. With a lot to do indoors if the weather isn’t great. Could be cold and rainy. Touristy things: Lots. Many excellent restaurants.

San Diego, not easy to get around, you’d need to rent a car. If the weather is nice, and it usually is in Feb, you’ll need a coat but the days are fairly sunny.
Touristy things are limited to the beach, the zoo, Balboa park, Sea World or a bit further a field, San Diego Wild Animal Park. If you like hiking, it’s better here in Feb as you can go to Borrego Springs and hike in the desert, it’s beautiful at that time of year.

I’m also a native San Diegan and I love San Francisco. For Valentine’s Day, it would be my first choice. Unless, you want to spend more time outside. San Francisco is delightful.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 03:11 PM
TahitiTams

L8..
I didn't know you were a SD Native!!
Happy New Year

Old Dec 31st, 2007, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your replies. Sounds like SF wins!

TahitiTams, thanks for the comment about dining out. I guess I hadn't thought about that. Valentine's is on a Thursday, but the whole weekend is likely to be crazy. I might just think about moving it a week or two.

Thanks again,
H