Search

California in June

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 03:56 PM
Marilyn

California in June

Hey, San Franciscoians, we want to come to your lovely city from Minneapolis the second week in June, but will it be just a continuation of our winter? Summer months are our only option. Our other choice is San Diego. Based only on decent weather for the trip, what do you say.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 04:08 PM
Pat

No doubt you've heard Mark Twains famous quote about San Francisco summers. The saying has a lot of truth to it. Visit San Diego in the summer and save San Francisco for Sept or Oct if you can.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 04:10 PM
ben

Mark Twain never wrote or said that - I defy you to quote a source. It's a myth.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 04:11 PM
California

Marilyn,

If I were you I would choose San Diego over San Francisco. SF will be foggy and cold in the summer. Temperatures will usually be in the low 60's for the high. San Diego will be around 75 and sunny. San Diego has lots to offer including great beaches, Balboa Park with its museums and the San Diego Zoo and shopping in Horton Plaza. You can also take the trolley down to Tijuana, Mexico.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 05:45 PM
Bill

San Diego. 60s in S.F. would not be a continuation of a Mpls winter, of course.

Why not both cities?

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 06:32 PM
xxx

If weather is your sole criterion, then San Diego wins hands down. SanFrancisco is a wonderful city, but sunny weather is not one of its attributes.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 08:37 AM
J Correa

I agree with the others, if fun in the sun is what you are looking for, go to San Diego. San Francisco will most likely be chilly. Being from Minneapolis though, SF might be warm for you - LOL. The temperatures in SF will probably be in the 50s and 60s with some wind and fog, some sunshine coming out in the afternoon.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 08:52 AM
Andrew

Yes, based on weather alone, San Diego wins easily. San Francisco can be deceptively chilly even when it *looks* warm and sunny nearby. That wind will freeze you - always dress warmer than you think you need in SF.

The two cities have little in common besides both being in the same state. SF has tons more character if you can handle the chill.

Andrew

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 09:22 AM
Pat

Ben: I didn't aim to ruffle your literary feathers. I should have said the quote popularly ascribed to Mark Twain; however I'm interested in how you got the job of Fodor's literary critic and what your post added to Marilyn's question.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 10:19 AM
hollywood gal

San Diego--hands down.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 10:51 AM
Craig

Any visit to San Francisco should include a few days in wine country (Napa or Sonoma Valleys) where the weather will be quite nice that time of year (70's - 80's and sunny).

I don't think the SF temps in the 60's are that bad and the sun does shine in the afternoon as the above poster says. Because it seems like your first choice, I would go.

On the other hand, the weather in San Diego will be perfect.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 04:07 PM
Adrienne

June is actually the better summer month in SF. There is less fog and more mild temperatures because the Valley temperatures haven't climbed into the 90's to 100's. The warmer the temps in the Valley cause the marine layer aka fog to be sucked on shore, the warmer the temps get the further inland inland the fog.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 07:23 PM
Paul

San Diego for sure. Not only because of the better weather in San Diego, but San Diego is an all around nicer city than San Francisco. SF is quite dirty and overrated. A typically city with problems of urban blight.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 07:20 PM
SanDiegoJoe

Obviously all of the people who raved about San Diego in June haven't been here in June to experience June gloom (not to mention May Gray). There is only sun for a few hours in mid-afternoon most days.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:18 PM
Jim

That's bull, Joe. I've been there 3 times and had plenty of sun. Yeah, there were some overcast times, but "only a couple of hours of sun per day". Nonsense.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 04:35 AM
xxxxx

I live in San Diego, and June is the coolest and most overcast of the summer months. However, saying that we get sun for only a few hours a day is a bit of an exaggeration in my opinion. There are certainly days when this is the true, though, and I think San Diego Joe makes a good point that you should consider our "June Gloom." Also keep in mind that inland areas are generally warmer and sunnier than the coastal communities.

Do you have flexibility in your travel dates? If you postponed your trip for 2-3 weeks, your chances of getting sunny summer weather in San Diego would greatly increase.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:50 AM
Susan

I cannot comment about San Diego weather in June, but I live in the San Francisco bay area. Yes, in San Francisco there is a good chance it will be in the 60s during your visit. However, everywhere else in the bay area, including the wine country, Muir Woods, Berkeley and the San Jose area it will be lovely and warm. San Francisco itself sits at the end of a peninsula and is surrounded by water. The weather in SF is almost always different from the weather in the areas surrounding it. This is a funny thing for us who live here. When watching a national program like the Weather channel, they will report on San Francisco's weather and it has absolutely no bearing on the weather those of us even 10 miles from the city are experiencing.

If you are considering SF in June I'd say to come ahead and plan a few additional days in the wine country or elsewhere nearby for some guaranteed sunshine.