San Francisco night out

Old Aug 16th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Francisco night out

My husband and I who are in our early 30's will be traveling to san fran for a long weekend over labor day. We have plans every night with family and friends. But we have one night to ourselves and would love to find a hip, great food and tons of atmosphere restaurant. any advice would be appreciated. We are looking into Myth, town hall, bix, plouf,delfina and would love input.
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 06:56 PM

They are all great. Try hard to get into Delfina first. However, it is really difficult. A16 is another good choice. Just go to opentable.com and try for reservations to any of the above. But do make a reservation somewhere now! Then at least you have something good. If you change your mind or find something better, well - fine! But at least have something!
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 07:01 PM
dmlove

And if you're coming from the East BAy, plan to take BART - the Bay Bridge will be closed the entire weekend. Have fun!

Old Aug 16th, 2007, 07:14 PM

Try Foreign Cinema. Can't be beat for "hip, great food and tons of atmosphere." And, its a couple blocks from BART .

Old Aug 17th, 2007, 09:10 AM

E & O Trading Co. on Sutter Street next to Union Square, meeets all 3 of your criteria, and Fodorites are having a GTG lunch there tomorrow!
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 09:48 AM
SAB

You might also consider Maverick, Bar Bambino, Range, Canteen, Bar Crudo, or Nopa. However reservations for most places over Labor Day weekend are going to be tough.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 11:57 AM

The area around Town Hall can be bit deserted on weekends. It's very popular during the week, as is its sister property The Salt House, because it's so close to the office buildings on the blocks just south of Market Street.

A16 would be perfect for you, but call ASAP for a reservation. Ditto Delfina and Range. If you can get yourself out to 28th & Mission, try The Blue Plate - tops on my list for a hip, atmospheric place to dine. If it's a warm night, ask for a garden table - it's magical out there. Try not to be seated in the very front room nearest the street and the kitchen at Blue Plate - it can be terribly noisy with clanging pans and passing traffic.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 03:21 PM
che

I'm with you on Foreign Cinema. Very good food (California of course) and an incredible environment. Sit outside on a warm night (or under a heat lamp) watch the film and take in the atmosphere.
Town Hall is good. Farmerbrown's is cool. But, hang out in the Mission (Foreign Cinema, Delfina, Range, etc.) and grab a cocktail in the neighborhood.

Oh, don't forget to grab a pastery and coffee at Tartine since you'll be in town!

www.yelp.com for good ideas, too.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 03:55 PM

I like Blue Plate, but for me the potions are too big! Still, if you go over there--this is more hipster than trendy, def. not a yuppie spot, just to clarify--try the Knockout for some drinks afterward.
http://www.theknockoutsf.com/

Nopa feels sceney to me when I walk in (I don't like sceney), but as soon as I'm seated I am in love with the food, the gracious service, and the beautiful space. Elderflower gimlet is great! Friends like the washhouse (vodka, basil, lime).
http://www.nopasf.com/

Delfina is wonderful. Go if you can get in.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 08:44 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
i've got a thing for www.belden-place.com a number of restaurants on an alley in the financial district.