Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Francisco mid March--weather, what's blooming and whether to do the city or focus on nature outside of the city?

Search

San Francisco mid March--weather, what's blooming and whether to do the city or focus on nature outside of the city?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2005, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found some cheap plane tickets for mid-March for 5 days. We've visited San Francisco once before and really enjoyed it. That trip we also spent some time in the gold rush area and Yosemite. Now we are wondering how to spend our time if I buy these tickets. The weather and climate are a big part of our decision. It is snowing and 20 where I live so anything wil be an improvement because March is still the dead of winter here. However, our decision boils down to just staying in the city for the whole time and doing city things or finding a nature oriented area within a couple hour drive of the airport where we can hike, enjoy the outdoors and ideally find some nice biking with rental bikes (not mountain biking). I understand that the high temperature in mid-march is typically about 55. If you live in the area, what would you suggest based on what it is typically like at that time of year?

p.s. What is blooming in mid-March?
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 09:48 AM

I would visit SF and Point Reyes. In my experience, you are very likely to have nicer weather than 55 degrees in the city.
On the coast at Point Reyes (1 hr. north of the city), spring is often windy (but sometimes warm and calm), but the area is spectacular. Late winter is when the area is green-the hills are covered with green green grass and it is gorgeous (still very pretty, though golden brown, the rest of the year). Point Reyes has fabulous hiking. Also, it is whale watching season in March. That is still low season, too, so you should be able to snag a nice b and b in Inverness or Point Reyes Station for a decent price, if you want to stay overnight. If you don't, it's an easy day trip.
You can look at the National Park Service web site (there is info on hiking here) for more info:
http://www.nps.gov/pore/
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 09:55 AM

Mid-march weather is generally pretty nice. We seem to be having a particularly wet winter, although not as wet as southern California. So - you could get rain or sun and probably will have some of both. You could get lucky and have no rain at all during your trip.

An average high of 55 seems a bit low, I would think it would be more like 60, but either way, it's not cold, just a little chilly.

Mid-march lots of things are blooming. I am about an hour south of SF and a lot of our trees are flowering right now and I have seen lots of bulbs. Wildflowers are starting too. In another few weeks, things should be really blooming. And, because it is still winter and there is a lot of water in the soil, our hillsides are green green green.

For hiking and biking, this is a perfect time for the redwood forests - there has been lots of rain, so the mosses, ferns and other underbrush should be really lush, and the wild irises and other flowers should be in bloom.

Also, the San Mateo coast is really nice this time of year - that is the stretch of coastline roughly from SF south to Santa Cruz.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 01:15 PM

mid March could mean the wild flowers are beginnng to bloom at Point Reyes (check Chimney Rock, Abbott's Lagoon in particular). This is an easy 1-1.5 hours from SF and will provide you with a variety of outdoor things and sights. You can kayak, hike, walk, lounge on the beaches and horseback ride.
If you are truly ambitious you can bike out Bear Valley Road which I think is about 8 miles. My quads still ache at the thought but the vistas along the way are lovely and varied(think meadow to sea cliffs).
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the all thoughts and replies. Is Point Reyes something that could keep us occupied for 4 or 5 days?
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 07:53 PM

I would consider the Monterey area. There is a lot of variety, with Big Sur and various state parks, the acquarium, Carmel shops and restaraunts... Pt Reyes is more often done as a day trip from SF.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 07:45 AM

You could occupy yourself for two or three days at most around Pt. Reyes, Inverness, etc., depending on how much physical activity you truly enjoy. The thing is that most of the biking to Inverness at least is hill biking, not real single track mountain biking, but going over the big hill and down again. However there are beautiful walks to be taken, and it is possible that at Pt. Reyes you can bike on the flats - I am not sure.

If I hear you right you like real nature - Yosemite etc. The Monterey area won't really get you that. It is more like scenic vacation spot. Pt. Reyes and Muir Woods etc. will get you the feeling of real nature.

IMO you could happily spend two days in SF (since you say you loved it here) then take the very reasonable drive up to Pt. Reyes or Inverness and stay two nights there and get nature. Then you could even stay your last night at Inn Above Tide in Sausalito - back to civilization and you can have great sushi at Sushi Ran - but still taking advantage of the fact that it's not dead of winter here and getting that great view across the bay and the sound of the water from your deck.

Now, that said, if it's raining the whole time you will want to be in SF more, but that schedule does leave you the optioning of just cancelling anything but SF at the last minute if the weather fails you.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 08:01 AM

Ah...March in the City. One of my favorite months. What's blooming? Well, darn near everything. The plums have been venturing forth with blossoms since the end of January, now they are almost over, with cherry, magnolia, quince, etc. taking their place.

In and out of the city, heavy winter rains have turned the hills green. There should be wild iris, lupine and shooting star (a hot pink flower with a yellow and black "stinger" on it) cropping up right about now.

Pt. Reyes is a great starting point for a nature-oriented trip along the coast. If you really want to get into exploring the back roads and hiking the trails, definitely stay at least overnight.

If the weather is good, I'd suggest driving up to Mendocino. There's some spectacular scenery along the way and the town of Mendocino is worth a night or two stop. Head back towards S.F. through the Anderson Valley on Route 128 - the fruit orchards along the route would be starting to blossom right about now.

The rainy season is certainly not over in mid-March, but winding down. It's not like early January, when we tend to get the coldest temps and the really scary high winds. You'll probably get a mixture of weather, but nothing at all severe - and most definitely NOT anywhere near 20 degrees!
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 02:16 PM

Besides Point Reyes, I'd visit Napa and Sonoma Counties.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 06:17 PM

You're gotten some great suggestions!

Here are a couple more:

If you head north, there are great trails in Muir Woods beyond the easy tourist trail.

Or go to the island in the Bay: Angel Island. You will get a fantastic view of the entire Bay Area if you hike to the top.

If you go to Point Reyes, a real hiker's hike is the one going to Alamere Falls, which falls into the Pacific Ocean. March is one of the best times to see these falls (some hears, during some months it's dry). Believe that it's about 8 miles' hike.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 09:49 PM

"some hears" - LOL!

That was supposed to be "some years"
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 09:57 AM

When is the Japanese Cherry festival this year? Is it in March? Japanese cherries are blooming now, and so are magnolias in the arboretum, Golden Gate park.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 07:43 AM

The Cherry Blossom Festival is always in April.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 10:12 AM

You might want to visit the Arboretum/Botanical Gardens in Golden Gate Park. Free tours are available.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 02:27 PM

Ooppsss the Japanese Cherries are no longer blooming but mimosas are!