San Francisco Hotel/2 days in Sept

Jul 24th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

San Francisco Hotel/2 days in Sept

My mom (75 yrs) and I are going to San Francisco for 2 days (9/2 and 9/3) and then driving to LA (staying at Sunset Plaza Hotel)! We are then driving to San Diego (Hyatt La Jolla) and flying back to Milwaukee.

I have a couple of questions.

1. Hotel Rex....Argonaut...Orchard? Any opinions on all three?

these are nice sounding places. hope to get a decent rate (still working on it).

2. Drive from SF to LA? 6 hours if timed right, I read. Does that sound Kosher? Is the traffic bad the whole way? Or is it a nice ride?

Thanks!!!
Jul 24th, 2004, 09:15 PM

Are you sure the Hyatt is in La Jolla not University City? If so it is not close to La jolla. Check the address.

Janet
Jul 24th, 2004, 09:48 PM
SAB

I5 which is the fastest route to LA is not scenic at all and in order to make it in 6 hours it will all be a blur anyway. The only time I've made in 6 hours is late at night.
Jul 25th, 2004, 01:02 AM

That's a long drive - how long are you staying in LA and are you renting a car? If so, you can get cheap flights b/w SF and LA and personally, I'd recommend flying to save time since the drive isn't that great unless you have time to make stops/side trips along the way. Hotel Rex is a good boutique near union square if you like to stay in that area. Not sure about the others.
Jul 25th, 2004, 04:59 AM

I agree with SAB, I-5 is not scenic at all. Driving it at night also saves you from the barren view. Although AAA maps it in about 6 hours, I have only been able to do that late at night. There is a Hyatt at La Jolla Village drive (at University Center Lane), but it really isn't at La Jolla, more like at the University.
If you drive down the coast instead of I-5, it is really pretty. However, you really should allow a full day at minimum to do that, which according to your schedule you really don't have.
Jul 25th, 2004, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys! I wasn't sure about the drive. I thought "6 hrs isn't so bad" but if it isn't really 6, then maybe not.

Also, The Hyatt I was referring to is at Aventine, I think. Is that location bad?

Cyndi
Jul 25th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

PS....if I drove, it would have been Saturday morning (9/4). Does that make a difference? Or would that make it even worse?

Cyndi
Jul 25th, 2004, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

OK. hi there again!!!

I decided to fly in and out of oakland and FLY to LA.

My big question now is (if anyone has opinions) Hotel Rex or Orchard Hotel?

My rates are only about $40 different but now thinking location and history.

I won't bug you guys again I promise. I do appreciate your input though. I'm really looking forward to this and want it to be nice for Mom.

Cyndi
Jul 25th, 2004, 05:56 PM

Both hotels are literally around the corner from one another. I'd check out their websites and choose the one with the best looking rooms for my taste.

Hotel Rex looks a bit more fun modern boutique-y. The Orchard looks a bit more refined and elegant.
Jul 26th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

THanks guys! I opted for The Orchard Hotel in San Francisco. We'll see how it goes. When I called to make the reservations they were very nice and very helpful. Hopefully that is a good sign.

I'll let you know how it went when we return.

Thanks again!