LOS ANGELES/SAN FRANCISCO

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a week's vacation to California.This will be our first visit. Our teenage daughter wants to visit the studios. We are interested in scenic.If we stay in Anaheim,is San Francisco within a day's trip? Or should we make hotel reservations in both the cities. We want to go on the 17 mile scenic route.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:27 AM

Oh, my.

You really need to look at a map before you go any further. LA to SF is about 380 miles. WAY to much for 1 week...
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:27 AM

Studio tours are much more accessible from Burbank for NBC, ABC, Warner Brothers and Universal or the Beverly Center for CBS. That's about an hour drive from Anaheim.

You can certainly do a day trip to SF - it's about an hour flight one way, but that will be a hectic day and if you're going to pay for the airfare, why not stay a couple of days in the bay area.

If you want to do the driving, it's about five hours from LA to SF.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:41 AM

I agree with elberko, forget SF for this time, there's no way to do it as a day trip from LA unless you fly, and it will most likely be quite expensive to fly to SF and back to LA in the same day or even the next day. Also, there is plenty to see and do in the LA area that will easily fill up a week. One alternative is to drive up the coast (route 1) along Big Sur and stay in Monterey for one night and do 17 mile drive the next day and then drive back to LA. That's about as far north of LA you will have enough time for.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info.Since this is our first visit to the West Coast (from U.K.) we did not have a clear idea of distances. What is Big Sur? Besides the theme parks, what other attractions are in LA? How far is Burbank from LAX?
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:20 AM

California is a big place with a great deal of variety in what to do. There are numerous guides and websites available to help you narrow down where you might go and what you might do.

Here's one to start you off:

http://www.visitcalifornia.com/state/tourism/tour_homepage.jsp
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:26 AM

your best bet is to go the library or bookstore and pick up a guidebook for California to decide what to see and how much time you have.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:38 AM
SAB

It is not unusual Wodehouse for people to misunderstand the distances in the US, indeed I have had friends from the UK visit me in SF and ask if it is possibile to go to Disneyland for the day. That being said even though I think everyone should experience Northern California (OK I'm biased) it may not be a good idea to cram both Southern and Northern California into one trip. Of course you are the only one who knows what kind of travelling you can tolerate and maybe you are the kind of people who want to see as much as possible even if it is only for a brief period of time. If so you can split your time and have a brief visit to LA and SF and do so by travelling up the coast . BTW Big Sur is a region of the California Coast which is exceptionally beautiful.