San Francisco- Hidden Gems?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're looking for some off-the-beaten-track places to see in SF. We always visit the larger museums, and am familiar with a lot of the main shopping/sightseeing areas- but want to do a bit more exploring. Any suggestions?

I'll offer a place I had read about and finally visited last trip- the Octagon House on Gough and Union- a historical landmark with decorative arts from the Colonial and Federal periods. Very cool!
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 11:06 AM

O.k,, I'll start:

How about the Mosaic Stairway at 16th Avenue and Moraga? It's in the Inner Sunset, in the Golden Gate Heights area. Definitely not on the usual tourist route - it's a quiet residential area. The number 66 Quintara bus will drop you right in front. The mosaic patterns are incredible, especially when you look at the whole staircase as the ocean/earth/heavens panorama it is meant to be. Go on a clear day in the late afternoon, just before sundown. You'll see what I mean.
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 03:21 PM

Napier Lane?
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 04:06 PM

The self-guided (or the guided) walk in the Mission district to see the many colorful murals is great fun, and a great place to get the best and cheapest burritos you'll ever eat.
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 04:34 PM

Neopatrick:

Do you have a walk you recommend and/or contact information?
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 04:49 PM

Ouch. We picked up a brochure that had the self guided walking tour on it -- but I have no idea now where we got it. And I have seen listings for a guided walking tour, but I have no personal recommendation.

Big help, huh? LOL
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

The mosaic steps sound great! We'll stop on our way to the DeYoung.

And Napier Lane looks like it's near Coit Tower, which I haven't been to since high school. Would we park at Napier and then walk to Coit, or vice versa? All I remember is that the area is hilly, and it's hard to park there.

We'll think about the Mission tour-

thanks, and let me know about any other ideas-
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 05:29 PM

Contact the Precita Mural Center

http://www.precitaeyes.org/
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 05:49 PM

That jogged my memory. The brochure and the mural map (as shown for sale on that website) were in the apartment we rented in SF. That's where I got it.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 04:37 PM

Have you been to Mission Dolores?

Precita Eyes--yes, very good. If you're at all interested in that type of thing, check out what's happening at ATA (Artists Television Access on Valencia Street) while you're in town. Note, this is a very small venue and is still, after all these years, quite DIY in feeling, so it's definitely not for everyone.

First Thursday of the month, if you happen to be there at that time, the galleries downtown are open late, usually wine, etc., generally contemporary art and photography. I'm thinking of 39 Geary and the buildings up/down that block.

If you're traveling with kids, you might check to find out what's going on at the Randall Museum. You could walk up (waaaayyy up if you're not used to hills) after visiting the Castro and/or Mission Dolores. Then I might consider a farther hike up to Twin Peaks for a view of the city, the bay, the ocean (walk all the way up the hillock itself, there's a trail with steps).

You don't mention when you're going to the DeYoung, but if convenient, try to walk out of the park via the Botanical Gardens. Visit them briefly, then walk out across Lincoln, going up 9th Avenue. If it's before 3pm, got to Arizmendi Bakery on 9th above Irving for bread or cheese or their pizza or scones. Or that chocolate cake they have. It's good.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 04:46 PM

Oops, I meant to edit, not post. Some of my ideas might be too idiosyncratic. It would help to know what you types of things like to do.

And here's a link to the Randall:

http://www.parks.sfgov.org/site/recp...ex.asp?id=1865

Old Oct 20th, 2007, 05:17 PM

Also, the Museum of the African Diaspora is on 3rd (or so) and Howard, near SFMOMA. The Comic Book Museum is right down the street from MOAD.

I can't remember the actual name of the Comic Museum and I haven't been in a while. Perhaps someone else will have more info if you're interested.

http://www.moadsf.org/

Have a great visit, whatever you end up doing!
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 05:39 PM

Historic Fort Point is a favorite spot. It's interesting to explore and you get great views of the Golden Gate Bridge. If you're an Alfred Hitchcock fan, a scene from Vertigo (where Jimmy Stewart rescues Kim Novak) was filmed there.

Have you seen the murals inside Coit Tower?
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 08:32 PM

Mine is a French bistro Zazie, though I like Cole Valley in general: http://www.zaziesf.com/
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Sounds like we can do Arizmendi Bakery, the Mosaic Staircase, and Zazie Bistro on the same afternoon, as long as we're hungry!

Have never been to Fort Point, and we may as well see that after visiting the Legion Of Honor. On the map, it looks like you take Lincoln Blvd from one place to the other, but is it going the wrong way? How do you get to Fort Point, without getting on the bridge by mistake?

Napier Lane looks neat, and then we could see the Coit Tower murals- but is that a straight walk uphill? Maybe we should drive around, if we can't handle a steep hill?

Went to the African Museum last year; my daughter had just taken a college class in African art. We thought it would have more art there, but of course there's the DeYoung for that...

Good idea about the Thurs night art night, but we won't be in town for that- also our kids won't be with us, and they're in college now anyway! But thanks for the good ideas, always nice to know where to get chocolate cake!

Old Oct 21st, 2007, 02:37 PM

Napier Lane is in the middle of a hill, inaccessible by car. That is what makes its charm.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 05:14 PM

Just for posterity, as I realize you won't be going, but the Museum of the African Diaspora and the Comic Museum are on Mission, not Howard. I don't know what I was thinking.
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 08:57 AM

Here is the link to directions to Fort Point: http://www.nps.gov/fopo/planyourvisit/directions.htm.

Have a great trip!