San Francisco for the semi-disabled traveller

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone tell me where a good place to stay as I have difficulty walking and will be reliant on public transport (can't imagine a car would be much use, the same as London), first visit and only have 3/4 days in SF. Thanks everybody
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 09:00 AM

Depending on what you want to visit, it can be Union Square area, Embarcadero, Van Ness area or Fisherman's Wharf - I think the transportation dependability is in this order. The areas above are flat.

Right before making a hotel reservation why don't you post the hotels name, street and cross street for more details.

Make sure you have a walking cane as yielding seats to those in need is not the strongest attribute here.

Not all bus stops have waiting seats, so if it's difficult for you to stand waiting for a bus you may need a seat cane or a folding chair.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 12:31 PM

While I usually say that no one should have a rental car in SF, if you have a handicap placard that you can take with you, it might make sense. That would give you access to some parking, anyway.

Another thought is to, for at least the first day, to take a Grey Line or other bus tour of city - it gives you a nice overview and you can scope out what places you wish to return to and how accessible they are.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for info, is the Cow Hollow Motor Inn & Suites, Lombard Street, on the flat and fairly central?
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 04:43 AM

My husband took his "handicap card" and no problem...Taxi cabs are very inexpensive, plus he had his cane with him and it helped walking.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 05:21 AM

Rosieuk, the Cow Hollow Suites is a great idea (better than the Motor Inn, but of course pricier -- but well worth it). You can come out the door of the Suites, walk less than a block to the corner where you get the bus which will take you right past Ghiradelli Square, through the heart of North Beach and China Town, stop right at Union Square, or take you to Market Street. From the Cow Hollow Motor Inn entrance, you have to circle almost a full block to get to the bus stop.

Chestnut Street (outside the Cow Hollow Suites) in the Marina/Cow Hollow is totally flat. There are dozens of nice restaurant choices in the neighborhood, or of course, you could always get a taxi if you want to go somewhere else or not ride the bus.