Best area to stay in San Francisco for senior citizens

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2014, 11:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a senior couple (65yo) travelling for the first time to San Francisco.
Which area would be the best place to stay?
We will be staying for 10 days.
Old Jun 15th, 2014, 03:31 AM

You will get a lot of opinions on this - but I like staying in the Marina area - including somewhere by the cute streets of Chestnut and Union - with Lombard in between. Some of the motels there can be a bit noisy - so make sure you ask - but the Chelsea Inn on Lombard I liked - which I stayed at after we moved from the SF Bay Area.

It's flat - easy to walk around - very safe - lots of dining choices - good bus connections - and close to the bay where you can walk along the Marina Green and see the Golden Gate, Alcatraz, Sausalito - etc. The Palace of Fine Arts - built for the 1915? World's Fair - is a bonus. www.palaceoffinearts.org - or google.

Also see: www.chelseamotorinn.com - or again - google if I didn't get it right.
Old Jun 15th, 2014, 05:57 AM

For first time senior visitors, stay in the Union Square area. Makes for a very central location to get to most of the places a visitor wants go.

When is the trip and what is your price range per night so hotels can be suggested.

Don't rent a car unless you are going out of town for a day trip and then just rent it from 8 am to 6 pm as hotel parking is very expensive. There are a few hotels that don't charge for parking must do.

Are you mobile and what are you interesting in seeing and doing?

We walk all over SF on our annual trip but will use a bus, street car, light rail when we need to and at 75 a ride per person, it's a steal!

For wonderful, free ( donation only, we do $5 each usually since we take many over the course of a visit) walking tour - check out these tours offered by SF Public Library - http://www.sfcityguides.org there are so many that every interest is covered!
Old Jun 15th, 2014, 06:14 AM

I'm with Debit on Union Square. Since you'll be in town for ten days, a map of the transit system would be a worthwhile investment. They are available at the tourist office: 900 Market Street.

HTtY
Old Jun 15th, 2014, 07:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cecille, it would be MUCH more helpful and IMO you would get much more valid answers IF you could be a little more forthcoming about

your interests
your budget restraints, if any

I can think of several areas in SFO which are "flat" besides over near Fisherman's Wharf and Union Square is great for some things and terrible for others.

So how about it?
Old Jun 15th, 2014, 09:47 AM

Let her have it.
Call her to task.
Give her what for.

HTtY
Old Jun 15th, 2014, 09:53 AM

It also depends on if you want a quieter - more of a neighborhood area as a base - or one that is busier/in the middle of downtown.
Old Jun 15th, 2014, 09:54 AM

I stayed in Union Square the last time I was there for several days and found it perfect for me for everything. Mainly, it was just very close to transportation options to everywhere (cable car, streetcar, bus) and central, also. I usually prefer to stay in a place where I can walk to/from dinner rather than making that a major expedition, and I had no trouble with that, either. I stayed in the Kimpton Palomar, which I loved. It was a little unusual in that some of the rooms of the hotel have no outside windows, only to an interior courtyard. I had one of those and really liked it as it was very quiet and I was only in the room at night, anyway, so worked for me. I easily took the streetcar from the wharf and the embarcadero area as it is right on Market St.

Now I am in the senior category also by movie ticket standards, but have no physical problems and am very active and walk a lot in my regular life, as well as other sports, so I think the age isn't so much the issue (except for interests, perhaps, no "clubs" are on the agenda) as how comfortable you are with walking. As when I was there I did walk all the way to the top of Russian Hill, as I recall, to try to see the fireworks for the fourth of July and back. And you may have some walking in-between getting off the bus and your destination (I took the bus to Golden Gate park to see the museum out there and it's a ways from the bus stop).

However, I more senior friend of mine stayed at the Palomar at my recommendation, she is probably upper 70s, and she and her husband really liked it, also.
Old Jun 15th, 2014, 12:11 PM
nlg

We are also a senior couple and we stayed at the Wyndham Canterbury on Sutter Street near the Union Square area. We had a one bedroom with a sitting area and a small kitchen. It was in a great area for walking and riding the trolleys. They also had a free laundry room on alternate floors and that was great for washing clothes so you don't have to bring so much. There were many restaurants within walking distance of the hotel and also a Trader Joe's.
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 03:51 PM

If you are a military veteran or know someone who is a veteran, check out MARINES MEMORIAL HOTEL on Sutter. This is the best deal in SF. Rooms run around $149.00 per night. This includes breakfast and free happy hour on 14th floor restaurant. They have a web site. The hotel is close to Union Square and the a few of the theaters. We love the place. It annually hosts a lot of military VIPs and has the look and feel of an officer's club. Class deal. Many people are not aware it exists. (my wife and I are both 65+)

Cost to join is $125.00 per year. This gives you reciprocals at other private clubs around the world.

We lived in downtown SF for 4+ years. The newspapers are talking about how the Nob Hill Hotels are suffering and the ones on the waterfront are booming due to all the new activity in the last few years.

The Ferry Building is a hopping place as are the many things to do up and down the Embarcadero. Plus you are close to BART, the Ferry system, Alcatraz tours and many restaurants. I would probably stay in that area if a first time visitor. There is a nice HYATT with a cable car stop in front that is an easy walk all over the waterfront area.

As a senior you are entitled to fantastic discounts on all public transit. All you have to do is show up in person and buy your senior clipper card. The rates for public transit, BART, ferries, MUNI then drop dramatically. You can probably find info on this if you search on the web for BART information or CLIPPER CARD in San Francisco. There is no charge to get this.

You definitel do not want a car.

Have fun. SF is a great city.
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Union Square as suggested has been noted. Can we find a private room with a private bathroom wherein rent/night is between $50-$90. We need a real bed because I have hip arthritis but can still move/walk about without a cane but not for long stretches. Just want to see beautiful places with minimal walking required, if possible.
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 07:35 PM

Sadly, you will not find anything in the range of $50-90; that is simply too low. You haven't said when this trip is, but even in the dead of winter, that won't get you any place decent in Union Sq or most other areas. Perhaps cut it to 5 days and double the budget?
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 08:15 PM

Can we find a private room with a private bathroom wherein rent/night is between $50-$90.

In a word, no. Your hotel budget is unrealistic for a room in one of the "best" places in San Francisco--minimal walking required.

HTtY
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 06:38 AM

You can't even get a room in a COmfort Inn motel in my small hometown in the middle of Ohio for that rate. Well, sometimes you can get one for $90 there, but never $50. Unfortunately, SF is one of the most expensive cities in the US, and major city centers are always more expensive than small towns in the burbs, also. I would not want to stay in what you'd get for $50 in SF, if there is something. You could try Priceline, if it's some off period maybe you can get something $100 or less, but I really have no idea what Priceline rates are there. And then you can't pick your location as well as when you choose the hotel.

I checked booking.com and there are actually some hotels for about $60 a night in the Mission, Tenderloin area, Chinatown, etc., but I don't think you want them. The cheapest one in the Union Sq area is $147 a night. I just checked mid-July, though. This is a problem, I don't know what to suggest as a good area for $100 or less.
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 07:35 AM

"Can we find a private room with a private bathroom wherein rent/night is between $50-$90?"

Are you kidding?
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 07:45 AM

Per person, perhaps...?
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 07:55 AM

Even so.
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 09:26 AM

Not sure where you are from but that is simply not a price for a clean, decent hotel in a central area of major cities. (More like the price of flop houses or other places you would not touch with a barge pole.)

And in the US most hotels have all rooms with private bath - although some BBs (which are mostly not city centers) do have places with shared bath.

If your hotel budget is that low I would have a look at how realistic your budget is for meals, sights and transport as well. It sounds like you may not be familiar with big city pricing.
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 09:28 AM

Is there a hostel in SF? No private bath, of course, but if budget is a priority, it could be an option. I hope Cecille returns. No one should be ashamed of a low budget, but in this case, hers seems unrealistic.
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 09:32 AM

Even decent hostels are about $40 per night per bed in a shared dorm room. No reason to be ashamed - but you do need to be realistic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -