Getting Around San Francisco

Nov 13th, 2003, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Getting Around San Francisco

Would appreciate ANY advice about getting to/from either airport into downtown San Francisco-- I may rent a car unless there are other alternatives (don't think my hotel choices will have a shuttle). If by car-- Best time of day (if there is such a thing), is there a "best" route? If I rent a car, plan to stay at a hotel with free parking and use public transport also. Thank you.
Nov 13th, 2003, 05:06 PM

You can take BART, the bay area subway system, directly from SFO to downtown. If you're staying in Union Square, SOMA or the financial district, you won't be too far from a BART station.
Nov 13th, 2003, 05:21 PM

You may consider a shuttle from the airport. I don't recall the exact amount but it is around $20 to 30. It is the typical large van that makes the rounds to the area hotels. Renting a car does not seem to make sense if you want to use public tranportation. Also, I am not sure that the concept of free parking exists in San Fran.
Nov 13th, 2003, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Marty and Navis -- thanks for the info. Navis, I have read of quite a few lodgings in the AAA Tour Book that mention free parking. ??
Nov 13th, 2003, 08:34 PM

When we go to San Francisco, we usually drive up from L.A. We stay at the Cow Hollow Motor Inn, which does have free parking (although it gets crowded in the evening when the hotel is full) and we DO use public transport, right down the street on Chestnut Ave. That bus (the No. 30, I think) goes to Fisherman's Wharf, and from there, you can walk around, or catch the cable cars. Chestnut street (located in the Marina district) is a wonderful little area.
Nov 13th, 2003, 11:07 PM

You can take Bart or you can take a shuttle (believe me there are plenty of them and you would probably be hit up for a ride in baggage claim). Shuttles are around $15-17 dollars per person one way. In San Fran, you can purchase a pass (for different amounts of days depending on how long you will need it) which will allow you to travel on pretty much everything (bus, cable car, bart, etc...) and they are fairly easy to get around on. We purchased a 3 day pass for around $9 a person I believe.
Nov 23rd, 2003, 10:43 AM

I live in the Bay Area. You do not want a car in downtown SF. They kill you on parking everywhere you go unless you stay in a motel that is not the best. Then you are out where you need to drive to get anywhere worth going. If they give you free parking in SF, there is a reason for it. Just take a shuttle into town and use public transit or cabs.

I went to a lunch meeting at the Hyatt a few weeks ago. Parking at the hotel for the 2 hour meeting was $30.00. I stayed at the Pan Pacific last February and parking was $35.00 per day. I told my wife next time I will hire a limo to take me into the city as I did not use my car for the 4 days I was there and still paid $140.00 to park it.

Great city, but not car friendly!