Days Inn Geary St

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 05:04 AM
Maggie

Days Inn Geary St

Can anyone recommend the Days Inn Downtown Theatre in Geary St San Francisco (or Days Inn Lombard St). It appears to be very central and sounds very good for the money,on the various websites but would like some opinions. I like the sound of the microwave and fridge and continental breakfast. Sounds too good. We are looking for a budget hotel, dont need luxury, but safe and clean, but don't want to ruin the trip by being in the wrong area and being cheapskates. We are independent late 50's from Sydney. Thanks for any help.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 06:48 AM
sean

The Days Inn , especially the one downtown is not in the best area of San Francisco. It is notorious for being a haven for prostitutes, drug dealers, and the homeless. Actually, much of San Francisco has deteriorated in the past few years. You may want to consider visiting another city in the U.S until the politicians here can get their act together.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 08:20 AM
joesorce

Maggie: When will you be visiting San Francisco, and for how long?

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 01:33 PM
Faina

Lombard Street sounds better then Geary, however if it's the corner of Geary and Van Ness it will be fine for you to stay there. Van Ness is always busy with people. Where on Geary is it? I don't know the exact location.

And what is the cross street for Lombard?

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 07:00 PM
June

Just got back to Australia from SF last week. My husband and I stayed at the Union Square Plaza Hotel on Geary Street Between Mason and Taylor. It's very safe area (yes, there are a few homeless people, but they're everywhere you can't get away from them completely). This area is great, very convenient to Union Square-cable cars, Nordstrom (shopping centre), Macy's (more shopping),food outlets and Chinatown. You can also catch a bus to Golden Gate park/Bridge easily.
The hotel was old, very basic but neat and clean. And for US$59 was the best we could afford with our dollar.
Hope this helps. I know when I was researching for accomodation location is always a priority along with safety.Have fun! SF is a beautiful city with its own charm. I would also recommend a day at Yosemite-not to be missed,truly breathtaking!

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 07:01 PM
June

P.s.
I forgot to mention: stay away from 6th Street. Locals have warned us about that street in particular.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 07:08 PM
polly

Maggie, On Lombard (just off it, actually -- which is better since Lombard's noisy) try the Capri Motel. Downtown is pretty expensive -- on Geary try the Shannon.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 05:27 AM
Maggie

Thanks for all the help. I will check out all these names on the web. There must be 10 million hotels in SF. I have noticed that a lot of the expensive hotels seem to be in some of the "bad" areas as well.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Larry

both of these hotels are in somewhat remote areas (for a town of 49 sq m ). The Lombard is way out almost at the Golden Gate Bridge...will you be using a car? and the other is in a heavy prostitute area...try some discount websites and look for hotels more downtown or for a tourist maybe the warf area