San Francisco trip report and a really NICE stay at the Adante Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back to NYC from San Francisco early Sunday and had a BLAST. I was there to work for a client but had lots of time to explore the city and to enjoy the great weather and,,,,,well shopped till I dropped.

I flew Jet Blue out of JFK and LOVE that airline, easy to fly with them much less hassle than other airlines these days and the price was $302rt a great deal. Flew into Oakland and took the BART (train) from there to Powell St in SF and walked the 5 blocks to the hotel. Total cost was $5.15 instead of $60 from airport via cab.

The ADANTE HOTEL.

I wanted to share a new hotel in the city that I found on www.hotels.com and it was really nice. The price was even nicer I think it averaged $60 a night. The room was on the small side, but fine for me, since I didn't spend alot of time there, big bathroom though and a big tub. The hotel also has several suites and they are a bargin as well, will stay in one of those next time, which will be in 3 weeks. No room service, but there is a cute internet cafe attached to the hotel and they serve beer and wine and have a happy hour in the evenings the house red was wonderful. They also serve breakfast and make great sandwiches.

I got to The Wharf area on the cable car which was fun, it's now $3 each way. Had a Hot fudge sunday at Ghiradelli Chocolate Factory, bought Paul a suede jacket really nice and it was $19.99 a steal, hope he doesn't read this post, lol.

Went to Golden Gate Park and took some pictures of the fog coming in over the harbour, really beautiful.

Did a few art galleries close to the hotel, which by the way is also in the heart of the theatre district, and 3 blocks from Union Square.

The one difference I noticed everywhere in the city (and I used to travel there all the time for years) was the amount of homeless on the streets. I think it is worse than NYC and we sure have our share here.

Anyway I had a great time and thought I would let you know about this little boutique hotel.

Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Just thought I would ask what is the difference in the city and why is the homeless population so staggering now?
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 09:10 PM

That hotel is in the Tenderloin district of San Francisco, hence the cheap price and homeless people. Not the nicest part of San Fran.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Mollie, actually the hotel is a couple of blocks away from the theatres on Geary St and 3 blocks from Union Square and quite honestly, I noticed the difference all over San Francisco, I just wondered why the number of homeless has gone up so much in SF it seemed a shame to me to see the difference in the city from the last time I was there which was not that long ago.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 12:13 PM

I hesitate to bring this up, since lately we've been free of the usual Union Square bashing here. But we were in San Francisco for 5 days in late July and spent a lot of time around Union Square (although we stayed out at Cow Hollow Motor Inn). We bought tickets at the half-price booth, and saw three shows and ate dinner two nights right near Union Square. I couldn't help but notice the tremendous difference with a LACK of the previous numbers of homeless I've seen before in that area. So your post somewhat surprises me. Maybe it was because of where you stayed -- maybe more have "moved" to that area.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 12:26 PM
SAB

Patrick--Mollie above says the hotel was in the Tenderloin, hence the street people (I refuse to call them homeless as it implies the only problem that street people have is lack of housing). The Tenderloin is ground zero in terms of bums, street people and other less savory characters i.e. drug dealers. Think Times Square before clean up.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 12:38 PM

Actually wantsomesun said this:

"The one difference I noticed everywhere in the city (and I used to travel there all the time for years) was the amount of homeless on the streets. I think it is worse than NYC and we sure have our share here."

My point was that I didn't find that to be true "everywhere in the city", particularly noticing a big decrease in the Union Square area. I just wanted to make that point. Perhaps she felt it was true because she was more aware of it in the area where she stayed.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 10:03 AM
SAB

My point also Patrick.