Search

San Francisco Fog

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Francisco Fog

Next week I will arrive at SFO airport at 10 pm, then plan to drive up to Sonoma that night. Someone recommended I wait until late morning the next day to drive up, because the fog will be too thick at late night. Really? What do you think?
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 03:32 PM

I live in San Jose not San Francisco but if you check weather.com , select 10 day forecast, select the day you arrive, and check the weather. For Wed. it shows the weather all day and all night as clear. Same for Sonoma.

In any event, that is a late arrival. You might consider staying at the airport and driving the next day. Be safer especially if you are coming from the east coast.
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 03:33 PM

Channel 2 weather:

http://www.ktvu.com/weather/index.html
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 05:23 PM

The fog should not be that bad at night.If you stay on main roads it should be an easy trip to Sonoma(and relatively quick). You will miss some nice scenery if you travel at night though.
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 07:02 PM

Yes check the weather report, because it is only foggy on some nights, not all. But whether it is foggy or not, I would recommend driving the morning after you arrive for 2 reasons:

-- It's a long drive to do when you might be tired and sleepy.

--- you will miss out on some very pretty scenery
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 07:04 PM

Oh, one more thing:

By the time you get your luggage and your rental car, you probably won't be able to start driving until about 11pm.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments everyone. I appreciate the input. Will follow the forecasts over the next few days. Being a night owl, I was thinking I'd rather drive up that evening, but perhaps it is best to wait until morning after all
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 03:37 AM

Getting the rental car quickly at SFO is an issue. All rental cars are in a separate garage building, almost off the airport. You take a rail shuttle to get there, and it can be confusing leaving the airport and getting yourself in the right direction. On the other hand, the airport area hotels are no bargain, either.

Sorry not to make the decision easier.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 12:52 PM

albeny,

Are you headed to the town of Sonoma itself or elsewhere in Sonoma County? Reason for my question is that weather conditions, particularly in relation to fog, can vary greatly from coast to inland. If you were headed to the town, I'd say fog would be an issue perhaps going over the Golden Gate Bridge and then maybe a patch around Petaluma. However, if you were headed out to a coastal Sonoma town, you'd be dealing with a great deal more fog. At night that might be disconcerting, especially in an unfamiliar locale.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 04:52 PM

The ground hugging type of fog is more prevalent in late fall and early winter. You should be OK in July at that hour. We drive it all the time. I would be more concerned with negotiating the city streets of SF at that late hour if you haven't done so before.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 04:55 PM

Personally, I'd not even worry about it, just do it. Even if it is foggy, which is unlikely, it won't be "pea soup" foggy. I'd get in the car and go, I always like waking up where I want to be rather than spending the night where I don't want to be and driving the next morning.

Plus you'll see the SF skyline fully lit up at night which is a pretty thing, that's scenery too. BTW, the best of the scenery isn't until you actually approach Sonoma, other than that the route is pretty much all freeway.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 05:27 PM

It's the 4th of July, of course we have fog, it's a tradition !

We have fog rolling in every night, somewhere between 8 PM & Midnight in Petaluma for the next 7 days, it will still be foggy in the early AM-you will most probably hit it at GG Bridge as dovima has stated.

Not at all worth the trip if your travel is up Hwy 1.

If you are traveling via Hwy 101 and exiting at Hwy 37 over to Sonoma town you'll be traveling quite near San Pablo Bay, which is likely to have patchy fog. As you turn off 37 on to 121 at Sears Point, you will be heading away from the fog, but probably still in it. Do remember that this is the Carneros region, famous for it's cool, foggy eves for growing Chardonnay grapes.

(insert wine glass emoticon here)

If you are continuing north on 101 to another Sonoma County destination then you will hit it on Hwy 101 at the north end of Novato around the Atherton exit. Not to far down the road, 101 goes to 2 lanes
(we locals call it The Narrows) and there will be foggy patches in there, through Petaluma and certainly until you are over the Cotati grade.

I think I'd priceline an airport hotel and enjoy the view
the following day.

R5
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 05:58 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"On the other hand, the airport area hotels are no bargain, either."

Oh - totally disagree w/ that. Priceline is absolutely brilliant for SFO hotels. You can get a 4 star place for $35-$55 depending on the inventory for that night. I personally wouldn't want to start up to Sonoma at 11:30 PM. Get a good night's sleep and either leave very early AM or after about 9:30-ish to miss the commute mess.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 08:36 PM

Razzle is your go-to Sonoma woman.