Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Driving UP the coast instead of DOWN from San Francisco??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2003, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are headed to San Francisco Labor Day weekend. Already have Fri/Sat planned. Wanted to know which has prettier scenery, driving up the coast and then maybe over to Sonoma OR driving down to Monterey/Carmel? Found an awesome place to stay near Carmel area, the Marina Dunes Resort. Would like to stay somewhere similar if driving up north. Thanks in advance!!!
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Should also mention that our flight leaves Tuesday at 5pm in case that helps with how long these side trips should take.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks my dear Watson! How long would your suggested drive take?
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 01:28 PM

It should take about 3.5 hours.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Would that be 3.5 from Monterey or from San Francisco? Also, any suggestions on where to stay once we got there? Thanks!
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 01:47 PM
rasnes5

The trip NORTH of SF on Hwy 1 from the Mill Valley exit up to, say Jenner, is the only way to go. You will pass thru Stinson Beach, Pt.Reyes Station(& the National Seashore),Bodega Bay and the Salmon Creek State Beaches-be sure to stop at Goat Head rock for a terific view of the confluence of the Russian River and the Pacific Ocean AND the multitude of Harbor Seals. For the evenings lodging I can only point to one of my favorites, The Timber Cove Inn,http://www.timbercoveinn.com-will make Marina Dunes pale in comparison
IME!...For your return trip you can head inland on 116 along the Russian River to Santa Rosa and ultimately HWY 101 for your Southbound trip to OAK or SFO.
Please know that the trip NORTH on CA1 is without congested commercial
development, you will not find shopping malls, fast food, or freeways clogged wit commuters,-you will find country stores with good deli's,galleries,wonderful restaurants all along the way, (I will be happy to send a list)and scenic coastal beauty???, well, most of it IS state and National
Park with terrific access. But, should you prefer concrete & parking lots, please enjoy the trip South! (o.k.,Hwy 280 & 17 are pretty if it's not during commute hours and there hasn't been an accident that hour and Hwy CA1 South is much more quite developed )Just my CA1 experience 'tis all...
Have a good trip!
R5

Old Jul 21st, 2003, 01:58 PM

I too woulkd choose the southern route to Monterey, much nicer views than north on highway 1. Even route 1 north of SF along the route rasne5 has given is often bogged down with commuter traffic. If you go south (280/17/1) as long as you leave SF after 9 AM should not have any problem with the traffic.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 02:32 PM

This is a tough question because their is beautiful scenery in both directions. In fact their is nice scenery at Half Moon Bay and Ano Nuevo which is much closer than the drive to Carmel and Monterey.

I was just hiking at Point Reyes National Seashore two weeks ago and it was gorgeous. I would have to agree with the poster who said North when it comes to congestion and scenery uncluttered by say "Santa Cruz".

If you go North you can take a trip on the Marin Headlands, Go to Stinson Beach, Point Reyes etc. the scenery is awesome in places, but is more coastal hills and pastures with quaint artist villages and one of a kind delis etc. very relaxing ambiance. Between SF and Monterey you have more waves crashing on rocks scenery as you drive.

I would do web searches on Pacific Grove, Ano Nuevo, and Point Reyes to help you narrow your decison.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 03:00 PM
rasnes5

Due to some mis-information from other posters I have to question some statements. CAHwy1 North "bogged with commuter traffic"? where ? as compared to Hwy's 280 & 17 ? and Please tell me exactly where these "crashing waves" are to be seen between SF & Monterey on Hwys 280 &17? My map just doesn't show
the ocean to be in the immediate area.

The drive from Muir Beach (2 miles
on CA1 North past Mill Valley) into Stinson is completely "crashing waves" views. You come into to the town of Stinson, drive out of it with Bolinas lagoon and an Audubon Sanctuary then into Pt.Reyes & Bodega (the drive between is coastal hills-then zap-you are next to the ocean and Bodega Bay again. The rest of the drive on CAHwy1
North to Jenner, Salt Point, Sea Ranch, Mendocino, etc. is totally along the
water. Thanks for letting me correct
"the view" from up there.
R5

Old Jul 21st, 2003, 03:00 PM

Either way, you will see some terrific scenery.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your suggestions. Rasnes5, please send the list of places to stop. I'd really appreciate it. A few more questions. How long will it be to drive up the coast? Is this a day trip or should we stay the night somewhere and then maybe hit the wineries the next day?? Or is it all do-able in one full day???
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 07:26 PM
rasnes5

Hi Hampsterbrain! Take 2-days. On day 1 plan to take a leisurely drive from SF
(2hours to the entire afternoon!) and depending on when you leave SF have lunch in Stinson Beach or at least try for a bit of a stroll on the beach-one of the few places you will find sandollars IME-if you're on to Pt. Reyes
for lunch try the Station House Cafe-sit outside in the garden if you can.
There is a marvelous gallery on the corner (Route 1,you'll know what I mean when you are there). Pt. Reyes/the National Seashore have lots to explore-you could take an hour and check out the visitors center to see if anything entices you. Still not hungry ?,Continue on up to Bodega Bay through Tomales. Have lunch or a drink/ coffee at the bar at Lucas Wharf in
Bodega Bay. From Bodega you are 30 Mins
from Jenner. So plan a stop at Goat Head Rock state Beach (before Jenner).
After that drive 10-15 mins. past Jenner
to the Timber Cove Inn. Be sure to get a room with a spa and ocean view-have you checked the website? (Rooms are cheaper on weekdays) It's a terrific place to explore and the restaurant is wonderful! Next morning you can back-track a little to the 116 junction and on to winetasting. Depending on your airport, and day of the week, I will be happy to advise on traffic/time.
Cheers!
R5

Old Jul 21st, 2003, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

I did look at the website. The rooms look sort of cheezy and old. Is it at least clean?? That is the most important thing! What do you think about Calistoga?? Just saw a picture on some website and it looks really pretty there.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 07:56 PM

hampsterbrain,

While the drive north of SF is not a bad, the best views will be along route 1 from the Monterey area down to Big Sur. I have driven route 1 north of Sf a number of times and the scenenery up that way doesn't quite compare. As far as traffic is concerned, it can definitely be as much of a problem north as south, so I wouldn't let that be a considewration.

As far as a recommendation for where to stay in Big Sur, we were very impressed with the Post Ranch Inn. The views were spectacular. The coastline in the Monterey Bay area is truly the best I have ever seen, you don't want to miss it. The 280 to 17 route has some beautiful mountan scenery. In fact 280 is designated as a stae scenic freeway. If yu have time on he way to Monterey, you should stop in Big Basin to see the coastal redwoods.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 08:21 AM

hampsterbrain,
As a longtime local, I love the drive in either direction down Route 1.

The drive south, from S.F. to Half Moon Bay and on to Santa Cruz is, however, more developed. The scenery is more gently pastoral rather than spectacular. There are more towns, and a good deal of the coastside is devoted to farming (artichokes, pumpkins, strawberries, etc.)

If you drive north, you are in "wilder" country immediately, as soon as you are near Muir Beach or Mount Tam. To me, the area north of Jenner is incredible - both the coast and the hills - but be warned, this is one of the most challenging parts of Highway 1 to drive.

I agree with the recommendation for Goat Rock Beach - one of my favorites. There are also small "pocket beaches" in between Bodega Bay and Jenner that are nice places to stop.

If you are stopping in the town of Point Reyes Station, do drop by the Bovine Bakery for good coffee and pastries - it's an ingrained habit of mine to do so, and hard to break!

Have a nice trip.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 10:44 AM

No trip North should be without a stop at the Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens (http://www.gardenbythesea.org/)

The gardens are beautiful, the admission is $7.50 for adults, and it is right on the coast. So many people don't even know this place exists.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 11:50 AM

Hamsterbrain,

I agree that the drive south, especially through the Monterey area is much more scenic than going north. Definitely skip the highway 1 between SF and Monterey as this is not the area for spectacular coastal scenery. The 280, 17, 1 option is the best bet. Once you pick up highway 1 in the Monterey Bay Area you'll be amazed at the vistas.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your replies. I'm still looking into all of our options (and have found more by accident). Just curious if we should rent a convertible for the drive. Or are we going to be so cold that we'll be driving with top up???
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 05:43 PM

<<Please tell me exactly where these "crashing waves" are to be seen between SF & Monterey on Hwys 280 &17? My map just doesn't show
the ocean to be in the immediate area.>>

Rasnes5: You misread both the views above yours. The crashing waves mentioned are on HWY 1. The poster said 17/280/1 (see the 1 at the end) and you can stop between Half Moon Bay and Ano Nuevo and see these.

Second: My post said I had to agree with North (in regard to congestion) that means I agree that you should go North to avoid traffic. I was Agreeing that "North" would be my choice. Nor perfectly clear, but definitely misinterpreted by you.

Stinson Beach is "Beachy" not crashing waves "Rocky". I prefer the Northern route, but Hamsterbrain may be picturing these crashing waves.....

The Northern route is very picturesque and pastoral and I enjoyed hiking just a bit ago out at the Elk Reserve, where I observed many fine elk as the fog blew over the ocean cliffs. It was lovely. I grew up in Santa Rosa and know the region well.
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Ok I THINK we decided we're going to head south. Now are we going to be missing anything if we don't take Hwy 1 all the way down?? Which way is prettier? We would like to stop to see the Redwoods too. We'll probably drive to Big Sur on Sunday, then stay the night in Marina and then maybe to the Aquarium on Monday (9/1). Sound do-able??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -