San Francisco/Carmel Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be traveling to San Francisco in May for the first time. We are flying in late on a Saturday and staying near the airport the first night. The next two nights we have reservations in Carmel and wanted to do the Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur area. The last 3 nights we have reservations at the Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf. We wanted to see San Francisco, Alcatraz, Muir Woods and Sausalito.....Would it be too ambitious to try and fit in Sonoma with this amount of time? Am I spending too much time in one place and not enough time in another?
Any information you can offer would be appreciated.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 09:42 AM

I think most of us have been in your shoes...Too many things to see and do, too little time. My personal opinion is that you could fit in wine country. However, you really need to allow an entire day. It isn't far from SF but you do need some time there, then need to get back. You might consider a tour, like Grayline, from your hotel. This wouldn't be like going to Napa for 2-3 days, but you'd get a taste (and make you want to come back again). Another alternative would be to leave Carmel, drive up to Sonoma or Napa, spend night there, then drive to SF next day, giving you 2 nights in SF. If you come in by the north route you could see some sights before getting to town and you'd drive in over the Golden Gate. You might like to stop and have lunch or dinner, depending on your schedule in Sausalito with a view of SF across the bay.
You'll still have another whole day left for SF, which isn't much.
I think only the two of you can decide how much driving you want to do in such a short amount of time.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 10:28 AM

Be careful about when you drive from Carmel to SF. Try to get to San Jose no later than 2:00 to avoid the rush hour traffic - the heaviest commute is actually into SF, not out like in most big cities.

I'm guessing that you really have only 2 1/2 days in SF. Most flights out of SFO for places east leave in the morning, so your last day will be lost. Alcatraz will take almost 1/2 a day, so that leaves you with 2 days in SF. Muir Woods & Sausalito will take about 1/2 day, so that leaves you with 1 1/2 days in SF. If you go to Somona, that will take 1 day, which leaves you with 1/2 day in SF.

I've lived in/close to SF for almost 30 years now & I'm still discovering new & interesting things to do & see in the City. One-half day in San Francisco is about 5 days too few.

I would skip Muir Woods, Sausalito, & Sonoma & spend the entire time in SF. This allows you to dump the car & perhaps save a couple of days rental, which you could use to indulge yourself with Teatro Zinzani, or eat at one of our world famous restaurants.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 10:41 AM

As an alternative to Muir Woods, do this:

Return to SF from Carmel on 280 - not 101. When you hit Hwy 92, take it to Half Moon Bay. You will cross a resevoir, and start to climb up on some ridges. At the top of the ridge, take a left onto Skyline Blvd (it's the first left) - there is a nice lookout immediatly to your left after you turn on to Skyline. Proceed south on Skyline & you will drive through lots of redwoods. Go far enouth to satisfy your redwood viewing needs & return to 92.

Now, click on my name, and see a past post I did about a scenic route from SFO to The City. It goes through Half Moon Bay, up into the City, and gives you some spectacular views of the Golden Gate and the GG bridge. It eventually winds up on Lombard, where you gan get to the hotel at the Wharf quite easily. Don't pass up on this drive - I always take visitors on the section that gives the views of the GG bridge. If you leave Carmel early, you can do this drive and also go accross the GG bridge & get the view which I consider to be the best in the SF area - a view back to the city, through the GG bridge, and then from over the GG bridge.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 10:51 AM

Here is what I would do:

Sunday: Leave the hotel first thing and head down to Monterey/Carmel via Hwy 280/101/156/1 - this is the route through Gilroy. This is freeway most of the way so you will get to Monterey fairly quickly. You will also encounter less traffic than if you went over Hwy 17 through Santa Cruz because that route will have all the weekend beach traffic.

This will give you most of the day in the Monterey area to see the sights.

Monday: Drive down to Big Sur, or at least as far as Point Lobos. Explore Carmel.

Tuesday: Drive up to San Francisco via the coast - just head straight up Hwy 1. This drive takes about 2.5 to 3 hours not including stops. You will go along the San Mateo coast, which is beautiful and an interesting contrast to Big Sur. Half Moon Bay is a nice town and would make a good lunch stop if the timing works out that way. If you want a real local treat, have a meal at Duarte's Tavern in Pescadero. It's a family owned place that has been there for ages.

Wednesday and Thursday: I would spend these in SF itself rather than trying to fit in Sonoma. There is just so much to see in SF itself. You might consider just turing in your car upon entering SF and then taking a shuttle back to the airport when you leave because you really don't need a car in SF and parking is expensive.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 11:13 AM
SAB

I concur with Stu unless of course you don't really want to see SF or you are the kind of person who is satisfied with a quick glimpse of places. I would not recommend that you try to cram a visit to Sonoma into your already busy itinerary. BTW if you want to visit wineries you might consider exploring those in the Carmel Valley.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 11:25 AM

Georis & St. Julien produce some very nice white wines! I have yet to visit the wineries in this area, but hope to do so soon! ***kim***