Search

Help ! please

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2005, 02:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help ! please

We have the opportunity to go to Napa valley for a week M-F for a nominal cost. We would fly from Atlanta to Oakland or S.F ? Cost is not the prime factor - ease is. May never get back again, so want to show my family S.F. and would love to drive 101. We would come in on a Friday - have maybe 1/2 day to see some sights and all Sat. and then have to get to Napa for a Mon. afternoon function. What area in S.F is closest to getting to Napa ? What sights to you reccomend as the Top "have to see" sights and with all this to you think I can get my drive in ? Thanks so much - an Ex-Californian
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 05:41 AM

Marcielee, I would repost this question as Help needed for Napa/SF area. That way people will know the topic you need help on and post faster. Good luck!
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 07:30 AM

Fly into whichever airport can get you in around 11am, so that you can get settled before the Friday afternoon traffic snarls.

Are you planning on driving DOWN the 101 to the Carmel/Monterey/Big Sur areas, or UP the 101 towards Mendocino and the Redwoods?
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 07:36 AM

Fly into SFO - it's closer to SF than the Oakland airport, and if you arrive in the morning on Friday, you might hit some commute traffic over the Bay Bridge coming from Oakland.

San Francisco is small - almost anywhere you stay will be convenient for access to the Napa Valley. The Lombard St motels are the closest, since they are actally on the route to the GG bridge & Napa.

I'm assuming that you really mean Hwy 1, not 101. There is nothing scenic about 101 (except crossing the GG bridge where it joins Hwy 1). You did not say if you are renting a car when you arrive at the airport. If you are, let me know & I'll describe a route into SF where you can drive along a scenic portion of Hwy 1. However, it will add about 1 hr to your getting into the City, but the route is extremly scenic (actually breathtaking) - with views of the ocean, Golden Gate, and the GG bridge too. It goes right past the home of Robin Williams. Also, if you will have a car, I recommend the Lombard St motels, since most of them have free parking, whereas the downtown hotels do not. I don't recommend that you stay at the Wharf - see one of my previous posts about the Wharf. Another advantage to staying on Lombard is the close access to Union & Chestnut St. Since you will be visiting 1/2 day on a Sat & all day Sun, this area will be a lot more active than the downtown area will be.

Stu Dudley
San Mateo (San Francisco), Ca

Old Jan 28th, 2005, 07:44 AM

Just re-read your post. I think you said that you were heading out on Sun for an afternoon meeting on Monday. Napa is only 1 hr away from a hotel on Lombard St - so you could leave on a Monday morning, take a scenic drive getting to Napa, and arrive there for an afternoon gala.

This will give you 2 1/2 days in SF. If you really want to see a lot of coast, let me know what time you will arrive at SFO, whether you will have a car, & how much time on Friday you want to drive along the coast. The San Mateo coast is very scenic.

Stu Dudley

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Dear Stu - Thank you for advice. Do you have any reccomendations for hotels Lombardy area ? And great idea about leaving Monday morning ! I don't necessarily want to go to Monterey - I just want my family to see the scenic coast since you hear so much about it. We will be renting a car. Probally at airport ? Any imput at all is appreciated. Marcielee
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 07:47 AM

>>>Do you have any reccomendations for hotels Lombardy area ?<<

Lombardy is in Italy. There are scads of hotels on Lombard. Since I live here, I don't have many occasions to stay in a hotel. Ask others on this board. Probably the best bet would be a hotel a block north of Lombard to avoid traffic noise.

Later today I will detail a driving itinerary with costal views to get you from SFO to the Lombard St motels, and also one to get you to Napa.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 08:38 AM

If you plan to spent two nights or more in the city, I would consider public transportation from the A/P and rent your car "downtown" on the day of departure as parking is expensive.
M
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 09:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
try the ColumbusMotorInn, parking is included in the rates
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 12:01 PM

Marcielee

I just made two posts:

San Francisco - scenic coast route from SFO to The City

North of San Francisco - coast & Wine Country

These should give you some ideas for seeing the coast.

Stu Dudley