Search

Landing in SF - Need help!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2003, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Landing in SF - Need help!

Hi,
Next month (May), my husband and I will taking our first trip to the west coast. We have nine days, including travel (so I guess it's really 7 days to enjoy). A few questions: 1)we're planning to rent a convertible (trying to regain our youth).Will we be freezing? 2)We're landing in SF and I guess we'll stay there 2 or 3 days but there's a lot I want to see, so maybe you could help us with the plans. Here goes: I'd like to visit Napa Valley, San Simeon, some giant redwoods, Big Sur. Also from what I'm reading, Santa Barbara and Monterey sound nice. But we have to be back in SF on the 8th day (or night) so we can leave on Day 9. By the way, I'm a nervous driver - so I'd like to avoid any scary roads. Thanks for you help.
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 07:23 PM

Check the weather on the internet. In April, you will need a thin jacket. Around Napa and San Simeon, it is warmer. I have never been to San Simeon, but Santa Barbara is warm.
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 07:33 PM

You really need to post this question closer to the date - normally May is very nice in all the places you will be (maybe top up temps along the coast) - but "normal" is not necessarily what you will get. A few days before your trip the long range forecasts will be pretty accurate and will give you a better idea what to expect.
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 07:52 PM

GeriD,

Just a couple suggestions.

1. SF is one of those cities best visited without a car. Traffic is difficult (especially for visitors) and parking is very expensive! For those reasons, it is best to not have the car when you're staying in SF.

Depending on your flight arrival time, why not pick up your rental car and head south to hit as many of your desired areas as possible. You could easily see Big Sur, Monterey, San Simeon, and some redwoods in 4 days/3 nights.

Then head beyond SF and stay one night in the wine country, Napa or Sonoma. Return your rental car in SF and spend your last night or two in the city. Pick up a shuttle to the airport to catch your departing flight.

I'd skip Santa Barbara on this trip, just too far south. Hwy 1 is the scenic route from SF Bay Area down the California coast. I would advise you NOT travel this route. While scenic, it is a very slow ride, is mostly two lane, and full of curves, hairpin turns and the like.

Rent your convertible if you want, but I'll bet you keep the top up on this trip. Northern California can have beautiful weather in May, but chances are it will be typical Spring weather with strong breezes, especially along the coast and in SF. You will probably find your best weather in Napa/Sonoma wine country which is inland and warmer.

Have a great trip!
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 10:29 PM

Some advice about your itinerary:

Day 1, 2, and 3: Two days in SF and a daytrip from SF to the Napa Valley.

DeeDee's right about not taking highway 1 from SF to Monterey. It can be an intimidating stretch of road, especially along Devil's Slide. However, I would take Highway 1 from Santa Cruz down to Big Sur. This is the most scenic part of the California coastline. I also agree with skipping Santa Barbara, which is a nice city but it is too far out of your way given the amount of time that you have.

Day 4: Take the scenic 280 freeway south toward San Jose. If you leave SF after 9AM if doing this trip on a weekday, you should have no problem with traffic. On the way I'd recommend a stop at the Filoli Estate in Woodside. Do make reservations(www.filoli.org) From there you can stop off in San Jose (www.sanjose.org) Some of the highlights include the Tech Museum, Winchester Mystery House, Rosicrucian Eyyptian Museum and the Japanese Gardens.

Day 5: From San Jose take 17 south and stop off at Big Basin to see the giant redwoods (www.bigbasin.org)

Day 6: In Monterey (www.monterey.com) check out the Monterey Bay Aquarium, Fisherman's Wharf, and 17 Mile Drive. The quaint town of Carmel has amny nice restaurants, shops, and galleries.

Day 7: After having breakfast in Monterey, take the scenic route 1 south. Stop of at Point Lobos just south of Carmel and continue down Highway 1 to Big Sur.

Day 8: Leave Big Sur in morning to get back to SF airport. If you have a morning flight, instead of going back to SF, it might be better to stay the last night at a hotel near SF airport to avoid the commute traffic out of SF toward the airport the next day.

Have a great trip.
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

I can't believe you guys took the time to give me such detailed help. I really appreciate it. O.K. Santa Barbara is out - for this trip. But you've given me some great alternatives. And thanks for the warning about about Rt. 1. I'll definitely take heed.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 04:52 PM

Geri,

May is one of the nicest months, I think you should be able to rent the convertible with confidence.

I'd spend 3 carless days in SF

2 days in wine country

2 days in Monterey/Carmel.

Big Sur and Big Basin are lovely, but you may not like the drive. I'm not sure what you consider scary, tight twistyness? or steep drop offs? or both?

Unfortunately, most of the redwoods are accessable only on twisty roads. However, you do have the option of seeing them at Pt Reyes National Seashore. You could easily combine this with going to wine country. If you head to the coast from Petaluma the drive is pretty darn tame, and Pt Reyes is a beautiful place.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 05:01 PM

You will mostly be warm, especially outside the bay area itself which is more temporate but take warm things for the evenings. Napa great, especially the food. North coast over the Golden Gate bridge to Point Reys is fabulous and Big Sur is not to be missed. I recommend staying at Deetjens, or at the very least having breakfast there. In San Francisco itself Alcatraz is really worth the time but so is Angel Island, personall would give Pier 39 a miss, but seems to be on all tourists agendas. Try Baker Beach below Presidio for the best view of Golden Gate and Marin headlands. Enjoy your time, can't see now you will fail to have a blast.