Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Francisco - Any Recent Experience at the Hotel Carlton?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for well priced accomodations for an upcoming trip. In addition to others (Hotel Rex and the Orchard), I have booked this hotel because they are having a Travelzoo promotion of $79 for Friday night and $69 for each additional night of my stay. The hotel is at 1075 Sutter, between Hyde and Larkin. Any recent experiences? How about the neighborhood? I am not locked in by any means and any input you can offer to help with my decision will be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 09:09 AM

I live on the same block, and can tell you - the area is safe. That's it. No really good dining close to the hotel. Residential area. I don't know where Orchard is, Rex's location is better. Except maybe Union Square you'll have to take a bus to get to any destination.

This hotel was closed for remodeling for a while, and reopened resently. Cosmos tour buses use it for SF overnights. I know there is a restaurant inside with middle eastern food.

It's OK to stay there if you have a really good deal, it's remodeled, safe, but you may be able to find something with better location. It's like being in Vegas on the strip - Luxor is fine, Flamingo's is great. Carlton is fine, Rex (location-wise) is better.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, Faina. On this trip, my DH and I are treating my 19 year old neice to her first SF trip. So, we either need a suite with 2 separate sleeping areas, or 2 rooms. The Rex has a junior suite (no door on the bedroom) and the Orchard has a suite, for more money. I can't imagine getting a better price in the city than that offered by the Carlton. Now, we must decide if we're willing to sacrifice location for price.

At all interested in meeting for a drink? If so, e-mail me at [email protected]. If not, maybe next time!
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 10:10 AM

Sure, especially if staying at Carlton, I'll signal with the blinking lights out of my apartment across the street - blinking twice I'm on my way, blinking 3 times - sorry, running a bit late

My e-mail [email protected]

Got an idea - should we invite that lonely Canadian lady? LOL

You didn't say when you're coming. Maybe somebody else want to join, if you don't mind. The more the merrier?

I heard from locals Rex is a good place for a drink.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Hi Faina. We're arriving in the city on March 19, and going home on the 22. Glad to see from your e-mail you'll be in town! I'll call or e-mail you shortly and we can make some arrangements. Anyone who wishes to is welcome to join us. And, I'll keep an eye out for those blinking lights!