San Francisco Activities?

Old Apr 18th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Francisco Activities?

Hello,
i will be travelling to San Francisco in early June for a conference. I have been to the city many times--but not for the past 10 years. I'll have a few days of free time on my own -- and I was wondering if anyone could make any interresting suggestions about the following:
*Best restaurants for outstanding food (Can be any type of cuisine--and anything from a tiny out of the way spot to upscale dining)
*Evening activities or destinations for a female on her own (any tours? or dining options that would be suitable--I'll be staying in the Embarcadero area?)
*Best areas of the city for walking (I'll have 2-3 free days)
*Suggestions for a weekend side-trip (could be a day trip or overnight)
Any suggestions would be welcome.
Thank you kindly!
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 05:22 PM

I am so jealous! I love San Francisco but I ca't see my school district paying for a conference there...

Great Eastern in Chinatown is incredible. The food is basic Chinese but it is delicious; I think they do have more adventurous dishes. Franchino in North Beach has delicious Italian food. Once again, it is basic Italian food, nothing fancy! It is the typical hole in the wall Italian restaurant with Mama cooking in the back and Papa trying to charm the ladies outside. The owners are very sweet people!

I would definitley walk up to Telegraph Hill. The view from Coit Tower is kind of neat. You can also try to see the wild parrots!

I think Alcatraz has a tour at night that is supposed to be pretty good.
You should definitley go over to Sausalito at some point. We rented bikes and rode over the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausaltio; it was incredible!

Have a great time!
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 08:29 PM

For food, lots of us bay area folks check out chowhound.com. In the archives there, you'll find great discussions about the best burger or oyster place or dim sum, etc. For evening tours, i'm not sure, but it is a great idea. City Guides (I think is there name) does great historic neighborhood walking tours. They may have or may know an evening tour. And they would be great for one of your daytime walking activities. For walking on my own, I love starting in the touristy fisherman's warf or COit Tower area and walking along the water front by Fort Mason and Crissy Field towards the Golden Gate Bridge. An evening eent that is very San Francisco is the fabulous Beach Blanket Babylon show. Check it out on line. For weekend side trips, it depends what you want to see. For a bit of nature, go over the bridge to marin County (it is easier ifyou have a car). You can go to Muir woods when it opens and then head to Muir Beach or Stinson Beach or drive up towards the top of Mount Tamalpais. The view of SF from Marin Headlands is great (when the fog isn't in).
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 04:46 AM

The Embarcaderao is great for you. I'd plan on eating at the Slanted Door at the Ferry Building, and being solo the bar there is a great place to eat -- especially since getting a table there can take up to a couple months!

Boulevard remains one of my favorite top end places in the city and is also convenient.

There is a Palomino with a wonderful view of the Bay Bridge. It is also very
"singles" friendly. Good food, nothing real cutting edge though, and very reasonable prices.

I can't go to SF without hitting the Swan Oyster Depot on Polk for a Crab Louis salad and maybe some oysters. Real "gritty" and basic there, but so good. No reservations, everyone eats at the long counter.

The best way to Sausalito is from the boats at the Ferry building, rather than Fisherman's Wharf -- yes you should go.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 10:24 AM

I just posted some of my "bests" today on another thread.

Counter at Boulevard is great for singles.

Take the J-Church to 27th street & walk 1 block south to Incanto and have dinner there at the bar or one of their nice tables - this will get you out of the "downtown" dining stuff for a change of pace. Great creative Italian food. Always voted one of the top Italian restaurants in the City. Have a wine "flight" with/before dinner. www.incanto.biz

Take a SF City Guides free walking tour. Over 30 different walks. Sponsored by the SF Public Library. See

www.SFCityguides.org

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 10:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I liked the WokWiz walking tour through Chinatown. We had an elderly guide named Dorothy and she was wonderful. She told stories of growing up in Chinatown. It ends with a prearragned dim sum lunch.
I also thought the Beach Blanket Babylon show was funny!
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 11:54 AM

Spend time at the Ferry Building close by, and have a casual breakfast or lunch at Red's Java House. Super basic (breakfast sandwiches, burgers, sandwiches), but nice view of the bay near the bay bridge.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 12:23 PM

Seconding Stu's recommendation of Incanto. Love the restaurant and also the neighborhood.

If you have time in the afternoon on a weekday, I'd stop by the Tartine Bakery for a glass of wine and a slice of something sinful (coconut cake perhaps?). I say a weekday afternoon because weekends and early mornings the line goes down the street. Tartine is at 18th and Guererro.

There is a guidebook out on the stairway streets of S.F. I can't remember the name of it, but it outlines some wonderful walks.

If you are checking out the Ferry Plaza with its shops and vendors, I would have lunch at the Hog Island Oyster Co. You can sit at the bar and see your lunch being freed from its shell.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 12:24 PM

One SF restaurant that should not be missed is Gary Danko. For a side trip, definitely visit Sonoma or Napa Valley wine country. Even if you don't drink wine, the scenery is spectacular. Alernatively, take Hwy 1 north to anywhere on the coast.