Reload this Page >

San Francisco First Timer

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 05:53 PM
Debi

I am going to San Francisco for the first time later this month. We are staying at the Tuscan Inn- any thoughts, comments etc. ?
Also, we wondered what others know about a restaurant that was recommended- the Fog City Diner. Finally- what would you recommend that a first timer not miss while in San Fran.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 06:15 PM
Charley

Debi, there are lots of postings on SF, so do your searches. I've lived in SF for over 30 years and have never been to the Fog City Diner, maybe because I stay away from touristy spots. Off the top of my head, for good high-price restaurants, try La Folie, Masa's or Boulevards; for medium-price, try Ton Kiang or Ploof; for bargain prices, try some of the neighborhood restaurants in the Mission for great Mexican food, like Mama Is Cooking, in the Richmond District for Chinese/Vietnamese/Thai food, and Valencia and Haight Streets for all kinds of food - Masala has great Ethiopian food. Not to miss: Alcatraz, wine tasting in Napa, Golden Gate Bridge, a baseball game at PacBell Park, it depends on what you like too. Maybe you should say what you like to do and how long you'll be staying in SF.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 07:46 PM
kam

The Tuscan Inn is probably the nicest propety in North Beach/ FW. REcommend Moose's and the Stinking Rose in North Beach. For others go to www. sfgate.com
Fog City Diner is Ok but there are better.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 08:03 PM
Bob

I live here also. Don't go to SF just to see the Fog City diner. It ain't that special in a town with a lot of special places.

Alcatraz tour is a must.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 09:35 PM
L

If you like museum, half a day at eiter the MOMA or the Legion of Honor is very relaxing.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 10:27 PM
Kate

All of my relatives and guests for my recent wedding stayed at the Tuscan Inn and they all liked it very much.

Take the Alcatraz Night Tour. Also, one of my favorite spots is Angel Island. It's a state park that you take a ferry to -- beautiful scenery, great hiking, interesting history, and a beautiful boat ride.

The SF Public Library offers free (though donations are welcome) walking tours all over the City. Check www.sfcityguides.org for list of programs.

Japanese Tea Garden in GG Park is also one of my favorites.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 02:11 PM
Leslie

Other must sees - though any travel book will tell you the same thing:

Pier 39 (incl. Underwater World)
Fisherman's Wharf
Ghiradelli Square
Golden Gate Park - Japanese Tea Garden
Palace of Fine Arts and the Exploratorium
Lombard St (the twisty segment)
Nob Hill
Pacific Heights
Shopping on Union Street

Haven't see the new baseball stadium but heard it's great.

Go to the Hyatt Regency Embarcadero hotel, peek at the lobby, then walk over to Yank Sing Restaurant and have a dim sum lunch for something special, followed by a cable car ride (no waiting!) up California Ave.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Natalie

The fog City Diner is good but there are much better places to go in the City. Try the following places for dinner:
B44
Aqua
Fifth Floor
Bix Super Club
Bubble lounge (cool champagne lounge!)

Try these places for fun:
Muir Woods
China Town (take the "Eat Your Way Through Chinatown Tour")
Golden Gate Park
Ghiradelli Factory (best ice cream sundae in the world!)

Good Luck!