Search

San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Carmen

San Francisco

Are there any great double decker tours of San Francisco that you would suggest for a mother and daughter(9yrs)? Anything better or similar to this let me know? Want to see the city.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 12:48 PM
mimi

I'm pretty sure there aren't any double decker tours, but there are cable-cars. Just as fun and a true taste of SF. There is also SF Bay boat tours, including Alcatraz and/or Sausalito that are wonderful. There are also some great walking tours like a Victorian house tour, etc. Have fun!

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 12:54 PM
Carmen

Thanks Mimi not boats make me see sick and I am not looking to see Alcatraz. I know everyone says go but it is not for me. Now are there cable car tours of the city or is this something you can do on any cable car. Was really hoping for an overview of the city

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 01:02 PM
J Correa

There are 3 cable car lines in SF, and the cars come every 10-15 minutes. MUNI is the department that handles all SF public transportation - here is the website: www.sfmuni.com There is a map that shows the cable car, light rail, and bus routes.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 01:37 PM
Faina

There are also cable car tours of the city - not the 3 lines of old cars.

You daughter may like fire engine tours - tour company will take you on a tour to Golden Gate bridge (and maybe Sausalito? check the website) in firefighters' attire, and I believe they take pictures.

Boat to Alcatraz is only 10 minutes or so, I get sick only by looking at the boats, so don't worry, it's not as bad as it sounds. Take Ginger pills - herbal - no side effects, no drowsiness.

Go up to Coit Tower or take a bus to see the city.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 03:07 PM
J Correa

I've seen those "cable car" tours, but never taken one. The are basically buses dressed up to look like cable cars. Why settle for an imitation when you can ride the real thing? But that's just me. Everytime we go to SF, there seems to be some sort of labor dispute over the "cable car" tours anyway.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 03:11 PM
kam

A good tour for a mom and 9 year old would be one of the WokWiz Chinatown tours that just takes 2 hours and then includes a dim sum lunch with guide.