San Fran Question for locals

Jun 10th, 2004, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

San Fran Question for locals

Hi!

I will be in San Fran for a conference in July. The conference is at the Hyatt Regency San Fran, and courtesy of Priceline (and BIG help from Bidding for Travel), I'll be at the Marriot San Fran. That means that early morningish (7:30-8 am) and early eveningish (7pm) I'll be walking between the two. On a map this doesn't seem that bad a walk, but in reality ... well, how is it? I'm from chicago, so pan handlers (if not too aggresive) don't phase me much, but I will be a single woman carrying a laptop and want to know if maybe there is a best way to get from one to the other?

Since I'm saving almost $100 a night it was completely worth it.

Thanks for any help you can provide ...
Jun 10th, 2004, 08:14 AM

Hello momgray,
I assume you would be walking between the Hyatt Regency at Embarcadero Center and the Marriot downtown, NOT the Marriot at the Wharf. In that case, the most direct route would be to walk along Market Street (where there are plenty of street cars and buses should you be in a rush or tired). You'll have plenty of company at 7 in the morning and 7 in the evening. No problems. Since you already are a savvy city-wise person and know how to avoid making contact with panhandlers, I think you will enjoy the walk each day. Plenty of places to stop for coffee, too!
Jun 10th, 2004, 09:41 AM

Yup, very easy walk and very safe. You could walk that route at 2am and feel perfectly safe. You can walk down Market St or Mission St.
Jun 10th, 2004, 09:50 AM

Although at 2:00 a.m. I'd pick Market Street over Mission Street. At 2:00 a.m. I'd take a cab!
Seriously, momgray, there will be many people with laptops and briefcases milling about at your anticipated times. You'll blend right in.
Jun 10th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you thank you thank you, and yes I did mean the Marriot downtown and the Hyatt Regency by the Embarcadero.

I look forward very much to my short visit to your wonderful city ... even if I mostly see Market street
Jun 10th, 2004, 08:50 PM

Please don't ever consider walking around downtown. at 2 a.m. While it should be OK in the daytime, some very strange people loiter there at night and it is not safe. (Sorry to interject a negative note.)

On a more cheerful note, have a wonderful time!
Jun 12th, 2004, 09:34 AM

My apologies. Of course you will not be walking around at 2am (especially since your meeting starts at 8am!). I just picked an arbitrary late night time as an example to show that if you can feel safe in the middle of the night at a location you will definitely feel safe during commute hours.

Sorry for the confusion! :-S
Jun 12th, 2004, 03:59 PM

What's wrong with 2am? That's when all my buddies and I are kicked out of the bars. So, you'll have plenty of company on Market St.

Search this Thread