Search

Pike Place Market Safety

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pike Place Market Safety

Hi all,
I just thought I'd put this out there for you visitors. I live here and I think Pike Place Market is a nice place to wander, especially for coffee, flowers, bakery stuff, seafood, people watching etc. But I feel like it's also important to note that Pike Street is not the safest street in Seattle and particularly at night. Stay in the market and don't wander down Pike away from the water. There's a lot of drugs going on and last week a visitor was raped in the alley. Not to worry people but be cautious in Seattle's downtown core like you would in any other city. I'd like to say overall Seattle is a safe city but lately we've had some issues. We're approaching spring and summer which is a busy time for tourists and I feel like it should just be stated. Cheers!
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 06:26 PM

Good point. The stretch of Pike Street between Third Avenue and First Avenue is unnerving. When I pass that way, I can't help but wonder why city government hasn't done something to rid the area of those who apparently escaped from or were recently discharged from penal institutions, drug rehabilitation programs, psychiatric institutions, and sex offender half-way houses.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 06:32 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Who'd you vote for for Mayor?
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 09:11 PM

Anyone that is afraid of Pike Street should probably not visit any city, anywhere, at all.

Lenlu, could you please provide some sort of facts to back up your post? How is the street unsafe for visitors? Yeah, there's a lot of people hanging out on a 2 block stretch of Pike (which is not actually in the Pike Place Market, by the way), some buying drugs, definitely. But not messing with visitors or the tens of thousands of us that work and live downtown (and some of us-gasp!-walk that street every day!! And even go to clubs and restaurants in that are at night!)

If it unnerves you, fine. Don't go there. But to tell people not to wander from the market, along a street that thousands of people use every day to walk between the Market and the department stores, is absolutely absurd.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 07:17 AM

Thanks for correcting my perception about Pike Street between Third Avenue and First Avenue. It has always seemed to me that the area became really sleazy after Penny's and Rhodes Department Store closed their doors, but I guess I'm wrong. I'd better stroll more leisurely and smell the roses that bloom there.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 08:39 AM

I wasn't correcting your perceptions. It seems sleazy to you, fine. I'm correcting the original poster's recommendation that tourists not leave the Market and walk up Pike because it is unsafe, which is unfounded and ridiculous. I've never even seen anyone get hassled there, and I walk there a lot.

This kind of fear seems especially ironic given the recent Utah mall shootings, which happened in a sanitized, security-monitored environment.

But as anyone who actually frequents this street knows, there are some BIG changes coming-the Proposed Land Use Action signs have been up for quite a while. And I doubt the luxury hotel and multi million dollar condos owners are going to let people "hang out" on their street...
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 09:21 AM

Fifteen years ago I visited Pike Place Market with husband and 3 kids. My outstanding memory of this visit was not of the market itself but of the street on the way to the market ... the smell of urine was overwhelming and the feet of passed out people sticking out of doorways. I distinctly remember feeling highly uneasy.

Wasn't impressed and have never been back.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 10:11 AM

Christy, I never feel unsafe walking of Pike Street, and I've never been hassled there.

Boxer, The smell of urine is overpowering in July and August. However, Pike Place Market is a great destination. Please come back and walk there via Pine Street.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Christy1,
You're clearly irritated which is not worth wasting energy on since I'm not attacking anyone. Being offended by my post is the least of worries in life. I walked downtown to work every day for years to the Century Square building and lived on Elliott next to the Millionaires Club. I know what I'm talking about and I'm just stating that caution should be excercised regardless of the new hotel and other projects. First, Second and Pike are nasty to say the least with junkies and as the others mentioned, transients in the doorways sleeping in their urine. Watch the news re: the rape and the fella who lit three people on fire by Macy's and the gang shooting at McDonald's--all of which happened within blocks of one another and within a three week period. Tell me that's perfectly safe. That's not to say I or anyone else is or should be afraid, it just means use judgement regardless of the fact that businesses are in that area. It doesn't unnerve me one bit so I'm not sure where you assumed that in my post. If you're a clubgoer, perhaps you're younger than me at 35 and feel you can walk safely anywhere or perhaps you have your karate and pepper spray down. Either way, good for you.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 10:34 AM

I am planning a trip in June. I was thinking about staying at the Moore Hotel because of the cheap price and location. I am starting to question what I thought was a good location. I am sure that could be debated. I want to stay in the heart of the city close to restaurants, nightlife, and attractions on a budget. Please give advice.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 10:48 AM

kailee, if you are concerned you might look into the Sixth Avenue Inn. It is up on 6th Avenue, a block from the Westin and right at the edge of the shopping district. The location is excellent.

But I have to say I'm with Christy1 on this. I tried to find information on the rape that occurred last week, and could find nothing---only an article saying that violent crime in Seattle in 2006 was the lowest it has been in 34 years. Yes, we do have street prople---don't all cities? And as for the "druggies" on Pike, they are in a very limited, known area (mainly Pike between 2d and 3d) and it is very easy to avoid them if you wish. But I walk there all the time and have never perceived any threat. As for the guy with the lighter, he was clearly nuts and that sort of random thing can happen anywhere, I'm sorry to say.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 11:02 AM

Lenlu, you sort of just proved my point that this street is not particularly dangerous by giving examples of crimes that happened in other parts of downtown. The fire incident with the two women DID NOT happen near the blocks we are talking about-it happened in front of Wild Ginger (my husband works with both of them, which is how I know this). You mention transients/unine smell, etc-that's a sad problem in many parts of the city, and if that is going to bother people, they probably shouldn't vacation in any large city, anywhere. I can find nothing about any rape in the papers/news, and a random rape would have made news. I don't know anything abou the gang shooting, but since I'm not in a gang, that's not something that I worry about.

I'm 37, btw.

Should people be alert when they are walking around a city? Absolutly. And had that been your point, and had it been relevant to some discussion, I wouldn't have been irritated. Crimes can happen anywhere, as again, the Utah mall shooting proves. But to start a thread that tells people to stay in the Market and not wander away? Bizarre.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 11:14 AM

Kailee, the Moore is in Belltown, which is considered the heart of Seattle's restaurant and club scene. There's also lots of good botiques and it's close to downtown, the Market, well, most everything. I think it's a great location. But since we're on the subject, it is in the heart of a big city, and you will see homeless people and maybe a drug deal or two (though even if you stayed in the nicest hotel in the nicest block downtown, you will inevitably walk by these things when sightseeing). If the reviews for the Moore are good, I'd go for it.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 11:18 AM

Well said, Christy1.

And I'm still curious about this supposed rape, as now two of us here have never heard of it. My job is close enough to the criminal justice system that I think I would have. I don't read the local papers cover to cover, but I did search on-line. So when and where did this happen, lenlu?
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 11:45 AM

enzian, sometimes folks like to "exaggerate" to make their point valid. Sounds like that's what happened here w/lenlu.

Big cities have an urban quality about them that rural towns lack: EVERYTHING is bound to "hang out" and be visible. Be aware of your surroundings at all times (good advice no matter where you go).
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 11:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I too would like to know the facts about the rape of a tourists. I live in Seattle, work downtown, and read the paper everyday at lunchtime. I have not heard anything about this.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 12:16 PM

I think we will stay at the Moore. Thanks for giving feedback!
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 12:18 PM

LadyPhoenix,

I don't see how "exaggeration" can account for lenlu's report of an event that now three of us who live here have never heard of. Lenlu says that the Pike Place market area is not safe because a visitor was raped there last week. That is an event that has not been reported in the news, at least so far as Suze, Christy, or I have seen. So I at least am wondering where this report comes from.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 01:40 PM

I haven't seen such a report either. and I read the Times and the P-I daily as well as weekly papers such as the Stranger and the Weekly.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 02:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
lenlu, Will you PLEASE provide further information about the alleged rape last week? That is very frightening news, for you to just drop and run.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -