San Diego with little kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be spending five days in San Diego with our kids (7 and 3) in early May. I have done quite a bit of online research on where to park ourselves and which hotels to consider. However, I would love to hear some feedback on what I think we should do.

Some information on us so that you have some idea on what we like and don't like.

* Our kids love to play on a beach (mostly to make sand castles, bury their father, etc.).

* We generally don't like to eat out at chain restaurants. My wife and I cook a lot even on vacation whenever possible.

* We don't like "tacky" or truly "touristy" things although, with kids, it is hard to avoid them sometimes.

* We are more Sanibel/Captiva type than Miami/Marcos Island/etc.

Based on what I read, La Jolla may be the place. However, I am having a lot of problems finding 3+ stars in La Jolla that offer suites or big enough rooms (2 queens). The Sea Lodge, what appears to be a popular choice here, is sold out.

Perhaps, Coronado may be a good choice although I am having the same problem. The Del is sold out as well.

Finally, I see a few hotels on the Shelto Island. Is this someplace where I could stay with our kids and be happy?

Thanks in advance for your input.

I am having
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 09:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
No beaches on Shelter Island. It's not even very close to a beach. Try Del Mar.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 05:30 AM

May is going to be chilly for beach visits - so factor that in your proximity to beach need.

We stayed at Best Western on Shelter Island. While, as stated above, it is not close to beach, we liked to be able to walk along the water at the marina and look at the boats. It is across from airport, but without any airport noise - kids might like watching the planes from hotel balcony. Also, Navy was doing some sort of training weekend when we were there and it like having an air show right outside for a few hours on 2 days. (Still, no noise). Big Navy ships cruising by as well - don't think that happens all the time, though.

The suite we had would seem to meet your requirements - 2 rooms (with sliding divider between), 2 queen beds plus sofa bed, small balcony (or ground floor rooms have patio), genuine full kitchen - stove, oven, full-sized refrig, m/w, d/w. We did not actually cook, but ate breakfast in room each day.

You will have to decide on location - it is certainly not central to standard SD sights, but neither is La Jolla. We found car trips from Shelter Island to be non-traumatizing - road signage good, distances fine, no real traffic.

We chose Shelter Island because price was more reasonable than some other places and we wanted the extra space. We have 2 teenagers, so we would have needed 2 rooms at most other places.

Have a good trip - I would move to San Diego in a minute if I could.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 06:13 AM
Jun20

The La Jolla Tennis and Golf Club has suites on the beach. Plenty of sand right outside the door for the kids to run and play.

Old Mar 14th, 2004, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Unfortunately,LJTG Club is sold out for our dates. Do you know of any other places in La Jolla? Thanks so much.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 06:49 AM
Jun20

ooops..I didn't connect Sea Lodge and LJTGC. Too bad they are sold out. Sorry.

Old Mar 14th, 2004, 04:25 PM

Have you checked out the Bahia Resort in Mission Bay? I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for but it may be worth a look:

http://www.bahiahotel.com/
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 05:22 PM

Cubswin

The Ocean Park Inn may meet your needs. It is right on the beach. Can see at www.oceanparkinn.com or go to www.sandiego.org and click on hotels. This hotel has a couple of suites and rooms with two queen beds. Many reviews at www.tripadvisor.com

There were many families at the hotel when we stayed in November. We didn't find it to chilly to go on the beach.

Best wishes for a lovely stay.
Sandy
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 10:45 AM
ltt

some suggestions: ocean park inn, bahia, pacific terrace inn, best western at pacific beach (can't remember the locations name) catamaran, humphrey's half moon although this one is not on or near a beach
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 10:52 AM

We took our daughter to San Diego a few years ago when she was seven. We all remember that as a wonderful vacation! The weather was a bit chilly (in March) to spend much time at the pool or beach but we loved Sea World and the San Diego Zoo. Get a travel agent to help you check around. It would not be any money out of your pocket and they come up with some great ideas sometimes...