COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best beach for kids to boogie board in San Diego?

Old Jun 24th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

What are the best beaches for our 12 & 15 yr olds to learn to boogie board? That would be safe without alot of chance of riptides, etc.?
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 06:11 PM

Wind-n-Sea Beach is pretty popular with surfers and saw several with boogie boards as well. Also Carlsbad had quite a crowd in May.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 06:24 PM
TahitiTams

HI Taratravels..
No offense to hulajake but windnsea is one of the most dangerous surf breaks in SD and it is not a place to boogie board..it is a hard core surf spot that is very territorial and the break can literally break your neck...
I would go to LJ Shores or PB or Del Mar.. Great beaches without the wicked shore break..there have been alot of riptides in the last couple of weeks so please have your kids understand that the ocean needs to have respect and it can take you in a matter of seconds..
I am a seasoned ocean swimmer and I have had some scary situations that just when you think you are all good the big monkey wrench comes into the picture..
Glad you are staying at the Hanalei versus the Hampton Inn..very noisy and its in between Little Italy and Downtown SD...Hanalei is in Hotel Circle..its 5 minutes to almost anywhere..
Take the kids to Jeff's Burgers for lunch when you go to LJ Shores..
Have fun!

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 08:45 PM

HulaJake must never had sand between his/her toes. Wind -n- Sea is a tough break to learn to surf or boogie board. There is a small area where many surfers go after the same wave. A nice area might be Tourmaline surf park in north PB or Del Mar. Lot's of room and the break/waves are pretty spread out. Make sure that you hit a Roberto's taco shop after your surf session for a true San Diego treat.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 09:09 PM

I agree. No way go to Wind-n-Sea.

La Jolla Shores is a very kid friendly beach. They have the boogie boards and surfing area seperate from the swimmers.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input! I think we will try LaJolla Shores since we will be staying in LaJolla for part of the trip. And maybe pacific beach. Will we be able to rent boogie boards right at the beach? What about the beach on Coronado, would it be good also, or to big of riptides?
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 02:24 PM

In La Jolla shores you can rent them right on the beach or down at the south end of the beach there is a street (Avenida de la Playa) with a few shops that rent them as well.

There a few great spots to get some grub on that street as well (The Cheese Shop makes great sandwiches).

There is a big parking lot at LJS but it fills up early. Parking on the many small streets around the beach is what everybody else does.

Make sure to check out the village of La Jolla. Views to die for.

Not sure about boogie boards or conditions at Coronado.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 06:51 PM

Thanks for the info we had noticed some that appeared to be pretty young and presumed it to be fairly safe. Thanks again