Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Diego - where to stay by the beaches?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

My boyfriend and I will be down in early January for a long weekend to check out San Diego (we're thinking about moving there from Chicago!). Anyway, we'd like to stay as close to beach as possible (preferably Pacific Beach or Mission Beach) somewhere around $100+/- a night. A resort like place with a pool would be great, but if there was a great quaint little inn right on the beach, that would work too.

I've done extensive research and it seems that Bahia and Humphrey's Half Moon are my best bets based on $ and location. Scripps Inn in La Jolla looked nice, but it's booked. It seems like most else at or under $100 per night is either a dive or in-land.

Would greatly appreciate any advice from any locals or similarly picky (I mean savvy) travelers like myself!! : )
Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 01:42 PM
ltt

there are many apartments/rooms for rent in the mission beach area. if you look on the bay side, you may find something in your price range.
have you checked pacific terrace inn.
in la jolla, check out the best western. you won't have a view of the ocean but it is only a five minute walk but not actually a great beach - beautiful but not really a beach.
Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 02:02 PM

Humphrey's is on Shelter Island, on San Diego Bay. It has a much different feel to it than Mission Beach or Pacific Beach. If you're looking for the hip, singles scene, Humphrey's isn't it. Between the two hotels you mention, I'd go with Bahia. I've never stayed there since I live here, but I've heard great things about it and it has a good location with lots of water sports nearby. Keep in mind that it's along Mission Bay, so it's not the classic sandy beach with the big waves like you'd find in Mission Beach or Pacific Beach, but they're just a short drive away.
Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 04:29 PM

TravelDiva:

We stayed at The Ocean Park Inn over Thanksgiving and enjoyed it. Hotel is located directly across from the ocean. Price includes breakfast, plus coffee/juice available all day. Our ocean front room had a small balcony. Cost was on the + side of $100 over Thanksgiving however January rates will be probably lower. If you have a car cost includes secure free parking in the basement. Room has small frig and micowave. Can walk out to many eating places. Starbucks and local grocery nearby. We didn't use the hotel pool so can not comment on that other than it didn't look overly big. See at www.oceanparkinn.com

Sandy

Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 05:41 PM

Keep in mind that most people do not consider this swimming season in San Diego. Temps are between high 50's and high 60's.
Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 06:15 PM

...and the water is C-O-L-D.
Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 06:52 PM

I'll be making room for you and yours from Chicago.

And another other native leaving California...
Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 08:32 PM

I would definitely say go with the Bahia. I have lived in PB for a while now and it is a nice hotel. It is right next to the beach and close walking to dining, shopping, etc...

I am not sure the name of the hotel but there is also one on the pier in PB. It looks great and would be a neat place to stay but it might be pricey?

One other location on the other side of the bay is Paradise point. This place has nice rooms and a lot of stuff to do around it.