Staying in San Diego

Jul 14th, 2003, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Staying in San Diego

Visiting San Diego at the end of August and am looking for a place to stay. We definitely want to hit the beach as well as some bars at night. Not sure if we should stay near the beach or in the Gaslamp area and just drive to the beach during the day. Don't want to have to drive too far (if at all) to go out at night. Any suggestions on places to stay?
Jul 14th, 2003, 09:52 AM

My favorite place to stay is the Pacific Terrace Hotel. It's more expensive than many but worth every penny. It sits right above the beach---just a short stairway from the hotel to the sand. A few other hotels are walking distance to the beach but most are old and funky. The Pacific Terrace has beautiful rooms and poolside with ocean views. Excellent bars, restaurants and shops are all within walking distance. Their number is 800-344-3370. When in San Diego it is such a pleasure to walk to the beach from your room without having to get in the car and fight traffic and parking!
Jul 14th, 2003, 10:01 AM

I think something near the Gaslamp would please you most. That area is very walkable and you can drive to the beach. I think the best beaches are not necessarily near the night action.
Jul 14th, 2003, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

so what are the best beaches?
Jul 14th, 2003, 11:38 AM

Best beaches are Coronado, Mission (if you're teen or older), La Jolla Shores, Torrey Pines, Del Mar.

The Pacific Terrace is great if it's in your price range. There are lots of bars around the Mission/Pacific Beach area.
Jul 14th, 2003, 12:44 PM
ltt

i'd rather stay at the beach and drive to the nightlight. being able to go for a stroll in the morning is wonderful and then when you go home to get ready for the evening, you can enjoy the sunset.
Jul 14th, 2003, 01:55 PM

I agree, its more fun to stay right at the beach and drive to the nitelife.
Jul 14th, 2003, 08:01 PM

I live in Pacific Beach where the hotel mentioned is located. I don't know where you are from or your age but the Pacific Beach area is definitely for the 20's+ age group. The nightlife in the Gaslamp district is excellent compared to Pacific Beach where there are mostly bars, no upscale dining.

Jul 15th, 2003, 04:04 PM

But only drive to the nightlife if you can drive home - safely! Some people like to 'enjoy' nightlife more than others so while I say stay on the beach some people should stay in a place walkable from the nightlife.