Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Midtown to LaGuardia: What is the fastest, cheapest way to make a 6:40 pm flight?

Search

Midtown to LaGuardia: What is the fastest, cheapest way to make a 6:40 pm flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 03:54 PM
mc
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What time should we leave midtown to get to LaGuardia for a 6:40 pm flight with plenty of time to get thru security etc. ? Cheapest, fastest way? Our options? It will be on a Wednesday.
Thanks
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 04:14 PM

Fastest=taxi cab. Cheapest (depending on how many in your party) bus from Grand Central but don't know how early the buses start running. At that hour, the trip by cab should take 30 mins.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 05:22 PM

The cheapest way is public transportation, $2 per person, subway (4/5/6) to 125th Stree, M60 bus to LGA. Depending on where you are in midtown (east or west), figure at least 90 minutes, probably longer.

Taxi is probably the best way, depending on traffic of course. Around $30 from midtown, total including tip/tolls. If you have 2-4 people and luggage, this is probably your best bet. Travel time 25-60 minutes in "normal" traffic.

Bus/shuttle options are numerous and cost varies, but if you have 2+ people you might as well take a cab.

Me, I'd leave around 4:30 for a 6:40 flight from east midtown (east of 5th Avenue).
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 05:26 PM
mc
Original Poster

thanks mclaurie... about what will a cab cost? How does that compare to the bus? there's just 2 of us. I don't mind spending an extra 30-45 minutes or so if the savings is considerable
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 05:32 PM
mc
Original Poster

thanks, Gekko... Our hotel is on West 48th... there's 2 of us.. but it's me and my wife so either way I'm paying all of it So if i can save a few bucks I'd prefer to, but also I want to have at least the morning to relax and take in a little more of the city before we leave. So if we can leave maybe no later earlier than 2 or 3 , that's fine
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 06:07 PM
GoTravel

Cab should cost you total of just under $30.

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 07:24 PM

Public transportation is cheapest and taxi would be the easiest. Taxi is about $30-35 with tip. The link below has lots of good information on transportation to LaGuardia. If you take a cab plan on leaving about 2.5-3 hours before your flight. The cab ride will be about an hour depending on the traffic.

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/lgtsmain.HTM
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 08:17 PM

Taxi.

Subway/bus would take too long and isn't convenient from W. 48th. Bus/shuttle, at 2 x $12-15, isn't worth the meager savings plus it takes longer (and you must get to the bus/shuttle, often by taxi!).

Take a taxi cab. Leave your hotel around 4pm.

Enjoy NYC!
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 07:33 AM

Yikes mc. I misread your post & was thinking 6:40 AM not pm. You will be leaving at the beginning of rush hour AND Wednesday is matinee day making traffic much worse. The cab fare will be on the meter (no flat rate)& the ride could take as much as 1 1/2 hrs as others have said. The bus fare is $10/person one way or $9/person if you buy the tickets on line.
http://www.nyairportservice.com/manhattan_lga.html

So either a cab at $25-35 door to door or a bus for $18-20 for 2. The bus can be picked up at Port Authority (8th ave & 42) or near Grand Central (I think the pick up is 40th & Park) so you'd have to get a cab to the pick up point which could eat up your savings. The subway/bus is the cheapest but really a lot of trouble with luggage.

I'd leave at 3:15 before the matinees let out. Also, the bus from Port Authority stops at Grand Central. Look at the website for schedule. Hope I haven't confused you.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 07:36 AM

You can always mix the modes of transportation. I would consider taking subway (#7 ??) that runs from Times Sq to Queens, which is always on-time, then get a taxi to the airport from there. (That's assuming you're not burdened with luggage.)
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 08:01 AM

Why on earth would you ruin a perfectly good holiday trying to scramble on a bus and subway with your luggage and baggage on a weekday afternoon with the rest of the bridge and tunnel crowd? Deduct $8 (the cost of your miserable public transportation debacle) from a $27 cab ride and for less than 20 bucks you can go when you want and not have to leave at 12:30 to catch a bus. Jeez, does the word SCHLEP mean anything to you!!!! take a cab.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 11:06 AM
GoTravel

flopmiester, I am laughing so hard I'm crying! Your advice is so true and so funny!

I can't understand the people that want to save a couple of bucks to get to/from the airport when a cab is so easy and so fast.

Old Jul 15th, 2003, 12:20 PM

Go: I know! It's so crazy. These are the same people that paid $100 for tickets to see some horrible tourist trap B'Way show like Cats! Can you imagine this family sweating on the #7 train in the august heat, looking at their watches, trying to hold their bags, luggage and a pole at the same time, and knowing they ALSO HAVE TO TAKE A BUS!! What a way to remember your NY vacation. Why not invite a Letterman camera man along to tape the experience for Late Night
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 12:54 PM
GoTravel

Adding to this misery, most of the subway stations are not air conditioned.

Old Jul 15th, 2003, 01:19 PM

ACTUALLy, i'm not aware of any subway stations that are air conditioned!
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 01:42 PM
Rob

Trains are air conditioned, not the stations. Transportation options:
Taxi - meter will read around $20. If driver takes a toll bridge add $4. It he takes 59th St bridge it is free. Add tip for total cost.
Super Shuttle - Will pick you up at the hotet. Cost will be around $16 per person. Shuttle makes other pick ups so trip will probably take at least one hour, probably longer..
NY Express bus service - $10 to $12 a person. Have to get to either 41st and Park or 42nd and 8th to get the bus. Taxi if taken will cost around $6
Public transportation - $2 a person. You have to get to the Times SQuare station. Take a #7 train to Jackson Heights 74th - Roosevelt Avenue station. Take a Q33 bus to LGA. Time of trip is just under one hour. Taxi is the best option if you don't use public trasnsportation.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 03:20 PM
mc
Original Poster

First, Thanks to everyone for their help (and humor) so.... after digesting all of the responses it looks like the best way is to take a taxi door to door hotel to airport. Looks like the few dollars saved by taking a bus would be eaten up by a cab to get to the bus pickup so coming out about the same without the extra stress or trouble . I had considered the traffic but hadn't thought about the matinees letting out during that time (thanks mclaurie) so i think we will probably catch a cab around 3 or 3:15 and have wonderful last day in the city! Thanks everyone!
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 04:07 PM

Actually-- I think you should call a car service and not count on catching a yellow cab in midtown. 3 is probably okay but I'd call 666-6666 or 777-7777 - won't really cost any more than a yellow cab. Or ask hotel to call you a car service, and lose the anxiety about cab catching. (And car service likelier to show up if called by hotel & not some person - you - they don'ot expect to deal with again.)