San Diego or Laguna Beach in October weekend getaway

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2003, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never been to California, but want to find a perfect weekend getaway for me and my hubby to celebrate my birthday. I'm trying to find a town where we can just stroll through the streets (not need a rental car), have great shopping, natural scenic beauty, hip bars and great restaurants. Find a hotel right in the middle of it all. This will be my last year in my 20s, so I want to celebrate one night at a fun bar/club. Do either of these places fit?
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 07:32 AM

You might like the brand new 'W' hotel in San Diego. It's supposed to be very stylish and hip. Unfortunately, at 42, I don't think they'll let me in anymore, but it might be perfect for someone who's 29!!!
Laguna Beach is also a great town; The Surf & Sand is within walking distance of most of the town.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 07:46 AM

The W in San Diego is indeed hip (the grand opening was staged like a Hollywood première) and stylish. The location is a bit isolated (basically between downtown and Little Italy), but it's a short walk or cab ride to the Gaslamp District, downtown (and a fun watering hole like Croce's-- it's still fun nowadays, isn't it?), Balboa Park, etc. I would still focus on the La Jolla neighborhood, or Coronado (the Del is still a charming old historic hotel). There is a San Diego expert on this board named Barbara (Hey there, Barbara!!) who, I hope, will give you some more exact recommendations. When I go down to SD, it's to see friends, so it's a lot of drinking in someone's back yard or condo....

Laguna might be too laid-back for you; I don't know if there are any hip bars per se, but the Splashes bar (in the Surf and Sand) has some pretty incredible views. I generally only go down to Laguna for a change of scenery and dinner (some great restaurants there), so I don't really party down there.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 10:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry, I was getting new tires - in 101F heat in Poway!!!

I would go for La Jolla, but I don't think there are any clubs there. You would almost certainly have to go to the Gaslamp District for that. As I'm jus a couple of years past 29 myself, I don't do clubs anymore!

Del Mar could be another option. There's a really fun bar there at a restaurant called Epazote. There's also fairly good shopping and a great beach for walking.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 12:30 PM
ltt

del mar is probably a good choice. or go for downtown san diego. lots of shops at sea port village, plenty of bars/restaurants and there is a ferry from downtown to coronado. there you could rent bikes and check it out. i agree that laguna may be too laid back. plus a lot of the bars cater to a gay crowd - don't know if this would bother either of you.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 12:41 PM

Laguna Beach is an excellent choice for the kind of trip you are describing. It's small and compact (so you can spend the weekend walking instead of driving), filled with cute cafes, art galleries and gorgeous views of the Pacific Ocean. It's a very relaxing, low-key place.

The best hotels in the area are the Surf & Sand, The Montage Resort and the Ritz Carlton... but they're all a little far from the action. I'd recommend Hotel Laguna, which is right in the center of Laguna, on the beach.

Laguna has tons of hip bars/clubs. Mosun is really hot (get there early, there's always a line for the upstairs club). The White House is always popular, too.

I really like Cedar Creek Inn for dining, but there are tons of great spots. French 75 is a wonderful (expensive, elegant) place to celebrate a special occasion.

Good luck!
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 08:40 PM

Here is the rundown on SD. We have very poor public transport here so a car would be advisable. Downtown would be good for the bars, restaurants, clubs, strolling, shopping. La Jolla (down town not UTC) would be my pick for the scenic beauty. Restaurants are good and it is relaxing to walk around during the day. Things close up early though. Del Mar once again is nice during the day, but it is v. small. Del Mar Plaza has Il Fornaio which is fantastic Italian food and a great bar scene with amazing views. Epazote serves bad food and over priced drinks, That is just my opinion. There is a bar in Solana Beach called The Belly Up that is v. popular with all types of people. Humphrey's on the bay is fun for dinner and concerts. Coronado is pretty, but The Del is far out and not much happening around there. Older crowd than what you may be looking for. Laguna is also a v. mellow place. Another poster already described it to a t. Happy birthday fellow virgin as in virgo!
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 02:25 PM

I lived in Laguna Beach for years and am now a mom of small kids, but had some fun times there before this stage of life! If you are looking for active nightlife and really hip restaurants, paired with a lot of diverse shopping, go to San Diego. Laguna Beach is small, beautiful and very "beachy." You will find good food, fun night-spots and a lot of absolutely gorgeous beaches. However, the city is small and the dining and nightlife are low-key and not the same as San Diego. Have you give San Francisco any thought? Public transporation is great there and there are the nightlife is far more exciting and diverse than either San Diego or Laguna Beach. I find it beautiful, too. Good luck! By the way, the other post on Laguna Beach seems right on with the restaurant listings, etc.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 09:24 AM

I spent a couple of days relaxing in Laguna Beach last October...loved it! The beach was beautiful, people were super-friendly and the food & drink were great (I recommend Las Brisas and 230 Forest Avenue for drinks and dinner.) It's not a "dance club" type of area - if there were any there I didn't know about it - it's much more relaxed. But people still did stay out late. I stayed at the Inn at Laguna Beach, which overlooked the main beach and was a short walk from everything. It was nice...it had kitchenettes, and breakfast brought to your door in the morning, or to the deck overlooking the water if you wished to eat up there instead. Plus, Las Brisas is right next door - how convenient!