TKTS in Chicago?

Old Sep 16th, 2003, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TKTS in Chicago?

I need your help!!
We are going to be in Chicago in December and when I googled for tickets to some shows I get this crazy prices. I do not want to pay $205 to see Hairspray or any show for this amount. Is there any way to get less expensive tickets? I remember not long abo they were $75 per tickets. And I thought that was a lot! Does anyone familiar with Chicago knows about TKTS, locations, hours, availability, lines, etc.
Thank you
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 12:26 PM

There is a TKTS booth on Randolph and just east of LaSalle on the north side of the street. I've never used it so I don't know about availability.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 04:33 PM

The service is called Hot Tix. Go to
hottix.org
for a typical listing. They are not open every day, and weekend tickets get snapped up on Friday mornings, in my experience. But I've gotten Second City for About $10. which is great for anyone over 15 or so. They don't usually have the Broadway in Chicago shows, but there is a lot of good local theater. You just have to dig a little harder to find them. See chireader.com for reviews, posted late on Thursdays.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for a very helpfull information
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 04:00 AM

This is an obvious one and maybe you already looked, but if you didn't why not try:

www.ticketmaster.com

Have a great trip!
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 09:39 AM

Hairspray tickets should be about $75 plus the extortionary Ticketmaster fees through www.Ticketmaster.com, you have stumbled on a ticket broker website. Broadway type productions do not stay long in Chicago so if the show is popular like The Producers was, it is difficult to get good seats through Ticketmaster.

There is always availability for something through the hottix booths but I rarely see the larger productions there although I notice today that Mamma Mia tickets are available. There are several locations, one closer to Michigan Avenue than the one listed by swalter. I have never seen a line at the Randolph location, it's not like NY or London.

Another thought, you could try the theater on the day of the performance. It's possible that there are some return seats. I've never tried that strategy but I've heard about it for other cities.

One cautionary note about Hottix, it seems to me that there are blocks of seats for shows that are offered through Hottix so there could be great seats still available and they don't seem to go through Hottix. I've been to practically empty theaters with Hottix seats and we are way up in the balcony. Maybe better seats are released later in the day? Or maybe ask the usher if you can move
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 10:55 AM
Uma

If you will be staying in a hotel, you
could always call their concierge ahead of time for help in securing tickets to shows.