San Diego: Nice but not too $$$ Hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2003, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning on going with my husband to San Diego for the first time in our lives in a few months. Can anyone suggest a nice hotel that is NOT going to cost $350/night? I have looked all over the internet but can't really find anything. What is most important to us: a nice pool, close to attractions (Zoo, Sea World, etc) and fairly nice spacious room. Thanks for your imput!
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 06:12 AM
ltt

would help if you told us what you wanted to pay instead of what you don't want to pay. not $350 so is $300 ok??? (a little morning sarcasm.) also, you should do a search for "san diego hotel". a ton of recommendations will come up.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Anywhere between $150 $200 is fine with me, I'm assuming that I won't get anything nice for under $150. I have done a search, actually extensive for "San Diego Hotel" like you said but nothing really came up. Just wanted to see if anyone had a good experience with a hotel that wasn't money hungry.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 07:08 AM

A few sites that you may find more helpful are -
http://www.localwally.com
http://www.gaslamp.org/lodge.html
http://www.members.cox.net/sandiego-info/
These sites will give you great info on dining, etc., as well as hotels.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 07:15 AM

My family stayed at the Lowes hotel on Coranado Bay for under $150 a night using one of the discount hotel web sites. This is a 4 star hotel that deserves everyone of them!

The availability of low rates is a hit or miss thing but if you have a specific hotel in mind use those hotel discount search engines to find you the lowest rates.

We also have had wonderful luck using Priceline. We had an oceanview room at the San Diego Bay Hilton last year for $50 per night.

Check out Biddingfortravel.com to learn the ropes of bidding for hotel rooms, you can save a lot of money. The site provides other bidders experience that will instruct you on how to bid and tell you what hotels are being awarded in the area your interested in, this is a huge advantage over bidding "blind".

Good luck!
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 07:19 AM

I have stayed at Loews Coronado Bay and if you can get this hotel for $150 - $200 a night - take it. We enjoyed it very much!!!
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 08:08 AM

Depends what you want. If you do not care about being close to ocean then there are a ton of chain hotels in the area called Hotel Circle, which will require some driving time to get back to downtown and the oceanside. However, they are also close to a good shopping center. So, you really can get good rates if you are willing to stay in the suburbs.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 08:18 AM

"I have stayed at Loews Coronado Bay and if you can get this hotel for $150 - $200 a night - take it. We enjoyed it very much!!!"

Thanks for the help with the proper spelling, very frustrating to search for hotels using the wrong spelling!

This trully is a wonderful property, a bit off the beaten path, but that made it that much more enjoyable for our family. We actually paid $125 plus taxes.

Good luck!
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 08:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Try the Marriott Marina(don't know if that is the official name but it is a Marriott and it is at the Marina). Very nice hotel, in a very good location. Should be in the 150-200 range.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 08:31 AM

Like mentioned above, you should really try Priceline if you are looking at Coronado. Pl wins are usually between 75-100 depending on the time of the year. Plus you have the option to upgrade to an ocean view for an additional 25/nt when you arrive. The Loews is another PL hotel in that area though Marriott seems to come up most ofter. Also the Hyatt Manchester is another PL hotel downtown at around 70/nt connected to Seaport Village.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 08:32 AM

Wanted to mention we used PL for downtown & Coronado stays more than 5 times w/o probs.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 07:49 PM

Consider La Jolla - it can be pricey, but still within your budget. Last August, we stayed at the La Jolla Cove Suites. Each room has an big balcony - we had our boys 2 & 4, so we ate there most all the time (our suite had a kitchen) with the most incredible view of the ocean and the coast. Decent pool and a putting green! We went to the zoo, Sea World, etc. - but just staying "at home" was wonderful. Lots of great places to walk, window shop, beach, swim, get massages, take yoga classes, La Jolla Art Museum, listen to music. We plan an annual long weekend, we like it so much.