San Diego: Travelling with Infant; need hotel recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all - we have yet to make a decision regarding a hotel for our April trip. Our daughter will be 3 1/2 months and it is our first trip with her. We were originally considering Humphrey's half moon and Paradise Point - now I have discovered Ocean Park Inn.

We definitely need a fridge and microwave, a baby friendly hotel/staff, good location (near the beach would be nice), would prefer a spa and above all, a CLEAN and safe room or junior suite. I have read many mixed reviews regarding cleanliness at Paradise Point and Ocean Park. I would limit our budget to $350 per night.

Seeking advice - we are not sold on any of the three places I mentioned and welcome more ideas!

Thanks!
Lee
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 04:59 PM

Lee:

I have stayed at The Ocean Park Inn and can tell you it is CLEAN and safe and does have the fridge and microwave. We plan to return to this hotel. Many reviews at www.tripadvisor.com and a couple of the old posts are negative.

There was a recent posting on this board by Tess who recently stayed at The Pacific Terrace Hotel located on the beach in the same area. Do a search to read her comments.

Also go to www.sandiego.org and click on hotels. Lots of offers here as well as other information.

Whatever you decide have a wonderful break with your little daughter and husband.

Sandy
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 07:53 PM

The Glorietta Bay Hotel on Coronado Island has one- and two-bedroom apartments with mini kitchens (refrigerator, stove, microwave). The units are very nice, and the operation is very family-friendly. Friends of ours from Phoenix stay there for a week every August with their two kids and have a wonderful time. The beautiful beach is not far away, and there are many good restaurants in the area.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 04:58 AM

Surely you can find a hotel in San Diego for cheaper than $350 a night! What are these places quoting for you? Max for all three should be 200, maybe 250 for PP, unless you are getting a suite.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 05:37 AM
Tess

It amazed me how expensive San Diego hotels were when I was planning our recent trip. We paid $244 a night at the Pacific Terrace (through sandiego.org--they were great to work with, although you do have to prepay). That included breakfast and wine hour. The rooms are a good size and should accomodate a crib just fine and the location is hard to beat. While your daughter's napping you can sit out on your balcony and watch the ocean--so relaxing!

Old Mar 19th, 2004, 10:22 AM

With thanks to SandyBrit, I booked our upcoming SD trip at the Ocean Park Inn and got great rates through www.sandiego.org. Less than $150/night including breakfast and parking (which is hard to come by at the beach). Wish I could provide a trip report, but you'll have to wait until mid April for my assessment! Good luck!
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 09:45 AM
ltt

i'd pick ocean park. the boardwalk is right there for walks along the beach, the bay area is close by for less windy walks and plenty of restaurants in the area to choose from.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the input. We have booked a junior suite at the pacific terrace for $218 (partial ocean view) - hoping to get an upgrade to ocean view upon checkin - if not, c'est la vie!
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 04:49 PM

We stayed with our (then) 6 month old daughter at the Marriott Residence Inn (downtown). I enjoyed it beacuse it was close to the downtown area, gaslamp district, very close to the zoo and sea world...

It also has all suites so we could sleep in a room and we put our daughter in the popup crib in the sitting area right outside our bedroom door. It also had almost a full kitchen. I believe each night they offered appetizers and a continental breakfast in the morning. There was a pool as well.

Have fun!