San Diego hotels on the beach?

Old Jul 12th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

San Diego hotels on the beach?

We'll be traveling with our 4 yr old and we're wondering what are some of the better family resorts or hotels to stay. We'll want to be in San Diego for the week..hit all the major attractions, but be able to have our spot on the beach...

Thanks.
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 01:50 PM

Hotel Del Coronado..great resort and voted always in the top ten for beaches..
Hotel La Jolla Shores hotel..great family resort..3.5 star but the beach is gorgeous..and the kids and adults love it!
Paradise Point in Pacific Beach is on a man made island..good for kids and on the bay..
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 01:53 PM

There aren't very many hotels on the beach in San Diego.

The Hotel Del Coronado, on Coronado, is popular and on one of the best beaches in the USA.

La Jolla Shores Hotel and La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club are owned by the same family and are on the excellent La Jolla Shores beach.

http://www.ljbtc.com/

http://www.ljshoreshotel.com/
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 01:54 PM

ksucat,

snap! I forgot about Paradise Point
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 03:04 PM

you're slacking Barbara...

You would think that SD would have tons of resorts on the water and restaurants too but sadly it isn't the case..
Thanks B for providing the links..
4 year old could go either resorts with the 3 locations..check expedia.com to gauge what kind of deals are going on..plus, check direct too.
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 05:21 PM

Tower23 is on Pacific Beach

Catamaran hotel?
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 06:21 PM

I would suggest looking at the Catamaran Hotel. It's beach is actually on the bay side, but it's a VERY short walk across the street and past a few houses to get to the Pacific. I have not stayed at the Catamaran, but did stay in a vrbo rental across from the Catamaran. I really liked the area and thought it was convenient enough to everything we wanted to do.

Hotel del Coronado gets good reviews. From the outside, it's nice (never been inside)...The beach there is great for finding sand dollars, which is why I even went over there in the first place.

My observation when I was there was that the Hotel del Coronado is in a much quieter area than the Catamaran, which is in a more youthful area...and therefore, quite a bit louder...but I am young (was younger then) and really liked the vibe around the Catamaran.