Best beach in the San Diego Area

Old Jul 16th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Best beach in the San Diego Area

Planning first time trip to California in November. Got my husband tickets to Breeders Cup at Santa Anita Raceway, but want to spend the rest of our trip in San Diego. Can't decide where to stay. We LOVE the beach and I've been reading about Mission Beach and LaJolla If we choose these areas to stay, would we still be able to access all that San Diego has to offer. We are early 50s, love the outdoors and exploring all that the area has to offer. We will be renting a car. Also thinking of flying to Vegas at the end of our trip. We will probably have close to 10 days.
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 05:48 PM

if you like people watching: Mission and Pacific Beach
If you like checking out tidepools & seals: La Jolla
For a long, wide beach with great bodysurfing, plenty of space to hide, and even a dog beach: Coronado.
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 05:52 PM

La Jolla has some of the best beaches in the world.
Mission Beach/Pacific Beach has a lot of teens, homeless and college kids and its a big party town..
You are in your 50's..I would suggest LJ..
Coronado is another alternative or Del Mar or Carlsbad.
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 06:01 PM

sorry, I thought you were trying to choose the BEACH! Now that I read it again, you're looking for an area to stay!
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

thanx for the info. We will be going to the Breeders cup at Santa Anita one day. Any good sights we should see on the way up? What would you suggest as the must dos in the San Diego area We will have a car and are adventursome
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 04:34 PM

If you are adventuresome, my two favorite recommendations are:

1- kayaking in La Jolla cove. You are likely to see and maybe even be surrounded by leopard sharks who are completely harmless. It is a stunning experience.

2- hiking at the Torrey Pines state park. My favorite is the "beach hike" down to the beach.... views are spectacular and at low tide you might be able to climb onto an isolated massive rock island.

North of San diego, I enjoy a stop in San Juan Capistrano and having lunch at Ramos house cafe. Quaint and adorable with fantastic culinary fare.... On the opposite end of style but equally fun is a stop at Mastro's Steak House near South Coast plaza and having a decadent steak dinner or sit at the bar and make a meal out of their fantastic appetizers. Best shrimp cocktail I've ever had was there.....every appetizer was delicious and it is a much more affordable meal than a formal dinner at this fine dining elegant posh New York style restaurant.

Where to stay in San Diego.... I would recommend the Gaslamp with many good options (I like Hotel Solamar, a Kimpton boutique hotel), OR..... Del Mar at the L'Auberge del mar, OR..... The Lodge at Torrey Pines, OR....Estancia Hotel in La Jolla, OR.....for a posh resort experience, The Grand Del Mar.
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 05:24 PM

excellent advice ncounty!
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 12:08 AM

thanks ksucat!
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 12:27 AM

I took my visiting family around last month and the boogie boarding kids said the water in Coronado wasn't as nice as in Cardiff/Encinitas.

Living in Encinitas, I kind of agree with them. I would add La Valencia Hotel in La Jolla to Ncounty's suggestions, but I advise caution at the L'Auberge Del Mar because the train goes right by there (very loud), and the Grand Del Mar is practically empty anymore. For an upscale resort, there's Rancho Valencia.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 05:38 AM

For must sees, I would recommend the Zoo, Midway Aircraft Carrier and Cabrillo Monument. Definitely go into the Gaslamp for dinner one night.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

thanks again for all the great info. I'm really liking the ideas especially from ncounty Still trying to decide on hotel I Liked La Valencia Hotel in La Jolla Any other suggestions for accomodations. As I've said before we both LOVE the beach and La Jolla looks like to would fill the bill
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 03:00 PM

Grande Colonial hotel in LJ is lovely..La V is one of our fav's but can be pricey and an older hotel..we like the townhomes with the butler but can be a fortune.
La Jolla is gorgeous with the pristine beaches..Del Mar, Encinitas and Carlsbad are some our fav's too..we body surf at stone steps.
Inn at Rancho Santa Fe is lovely and quaint and Rancho Valencia is owned by the same people as La V..
Estancia hotel and resort is gorgeous and up on the hill but really nice and new..
Hotel La Jolla is probably done with their renovations..

ncounty..don't you just LOVE Jsix at the rooftop for drinks and app's..great hotel too.
US Grant hotel was $160 a night on expedia..dang, that's what I'm talking about!