San Diego Group Dinner

Nov 7th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

San Diego Group Dinner

Our board is having a meeting in late January in San Diego and need a restaurant (preferrably with private dining room) for 25-30 people. Seafood would be great.

We're staying at the Embassy Suites San Diego Bay and would like something in the Gaslamp district (is it walkable?). I've also found Tom Ham's Lighthouse, which would require transportation.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Nov 7th, 2005, 01:04 PM

I think the Star of the Sea Restaurant has a banquet room, it is about a 1-mile walk along the waterfront from the Embassy Suites. Really good food, but not cheap. I was just at Flemings Steakhouse on Friday, it is closer, maybe 5-6 blocks (right across from the Gaslamp Hilton) and they might have a room for groups. Also very good, great wine list. Good Luck.
Nov 7th, 2005, 01:26 PM
ltt

i haven't been in several years but while i lived in san diego, i use to take people to tom ham's lighthouse often. probably had 50 meals there and everyone always enjoyed theirs and the view of downtown is nice especially at sunset and when the boats are coming in.

another area i'd look into if you wanted more casual would the old town - one of the mexican restaurants. casa de bandini has an indoor section that might be suitable for that number.
Nov 7th, 2005, 02:07 PM

Anthony's Fish Grotto is about a mile away on Harbor Drive 619-232-5103. I'm not a seafood person but "The Fish Market" on Harbor Drive 619-232-3474 is a favorite of most locals I know. I would guess that they both could accomodate groups.

"Blue Point" is on 5th Ave in the Gaslamp area 619-233-6323. I've heard good things but have never been there. It's also smaller than the other two.

I wouldn't walk to any of those from Embassy Suites. The "Red Lobster" is within walking distance across the street at Seaport Village but it's very generic seafood.
Nov 7th, 2005, 02:37 PM

The Fish Market is a great place, not sure how they handle groups, though. Try this web site, you ought to be able to find exactly what you want with their help.

http://www.sandiegorestaurants.com/events.cfm

itt, Casa De Bandini isn't there any more.
Nov 7th, 2005, 02:53 PM

We had a wonderful (family of 4 adults) meal at Bella Luna in the Gas Light district, but I don't think they have a private dining room. When I looked for them via Google I noticed they have a sister restaurant that appears to have some private dining rooms (or they can otherwise appropriately handle large groups). If they are half as good as Bella Luna was, I'd try for this one! http://www.sandiegorestaurants.com/aquablu/
Nov 7th, 2005, 06:30 PM

We have found Gaslamp very walkable, especially in a group. I do believe that the Embassy Suites has a seafood restaurant that is supposed to be pretty good. I have not eaten there though.

How much do you all want to spend? You have a little of everything in the Gaslamp. Lots to choose from.

I do know that Lou and Mickeys (chophouse and seafood, excellent but pricey) have a private room. Great place. Wonderful bar. Dressy and sophisticated.
Nov 8th, 2005, 07:21 AM

Last year my company held a conference at the US Grant in downtown SD-- a block from the Gaslamp. We took over the second floor of a nearby restaurant called Dobson's (http://www.dobsonsrestaurant.com/). The food was glorious, and they had a pretty well-thought-out wine list. You could call and talk with the owner. It's not a big place, so you'd fill the second floor (they call it the "mezzanine").
Nov 8th, 2005, 07:43 AM

You can fit 30 people upstairs in Dobson's? It's so small. Good food, though.
Nov 8th, 2005, 08:00 AM

I went to a wedding reception at Tom Ham's a couple years ago. Great views across the harbor, relaxed atmosphere. I don't remember much about the food, but it was buffet because of the wedding and probably not representative of the restaurant's regular meals.

I've also been to Anthony's with a large group - family thing, but I think we had around 25 people. They acommodated us no problem. I wish our dinner had been a little earlier because we missed the sunset. It was dark, so no views through the huge windows.
Nov 8th, 2005, 08:30 AM

Hi, Barbara!! Yeah, we got 30 people in there-- barely. It was cozy, but this was a very friendly group (and since we'd spent some time in the bar at the US Grant, even more so)-- no problems. And I do love the grub at Dobson's!
Nov 8th, 2005, 07:10 PM

I LOVE Dobsons. Their lobster bisque is the best thing ever. And awesome martinis. The upstairs is cozy but has room for about 30. The whole place has an intimate feel.

We ate there during the Republican convention, sat upstairs next to so many famous politians it was amazing. Don't know how we got in, they must have confused us to be "somebody".

My DH took a picture of the owner with Mary Madlin (?) and James Carvell. We dropped the picture by a few weeks later and he hung it on his wall. Now we're in for good, LOL.
Nov 9th, 2005, 07:58 PM

A new restaurant opened about two months ago called Island Prime (also known as C level or C note. It is part of the Cohn family restaurants and has a great view and the food is pretty good. It is on the same street as Tom Ham's lighthouse (which is terrible by the way, very generic seafood, mainly used by groups not individuals). You would knock your board's socks off if you ate at Island Prime. Another great seafood place in the Gaslamp (and my current favorite restaurant is Oceanaire. Very fresh seafood. Another place getting a lot of good reviews is J6th or 6th J (some combination of J and 6th. Fabulous chef. Great food.
Nov 15th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all of your help!

The Oceanaire in DC is a great place -- that might be a good option.

The woman who's helped with locations is pushing Little Italy, but I think she has a thing about seafood. I'll look into Island Prime. Thanks again!