Reduced price tickets in New York

Nov 11th, 2005, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Reduced price tickets in New York

Has anyone ever bought reduced price tickets to Producers and Mamma Mia in New York? I want to use the Reduced Price Tickets area as much as I can, but I do not want to miss seeing some shows because I did not buy tickets ahead.
Nov 11th, 2005, 05:32 AM

By "Reduced Price Tickets area," I assume you mean the TKTS booths in Times Square and South Street Seaport.
First, you don't say when you are going, which will make a difference. If it's around the year-end holiday season, your chances for Mamma Mia are very slim, with The Producers chances a little better.
Other than the holiday period, you will have a much better chance midweek than weekend. In fact, you can forget about Mamma Mia on any weekend.
The online discount offers on BroadwayBox.com expire very shortly.
Nov 11th, 2005, 05:40 AM

Have discovered that the first weekend/week in Dec. in NYC is ultra-high season. Any point in trying TKTS for that time?
Nov 11th, 2005, 05:46 AM

There's always something available at TKTS, no matter how busy the weekend. How flexible are you with your choices?
Nov 11th, 2005, 07:26 AM

If you definitely want to see specific shows, I would recommend either getting a discount through BroadwayBox.com, or considering purchasing less expensive (i.e. farther away) seats ahead of time. Depending on when you are going, as mentioned above, there is no guarantee certain shows will be at TKTS.

Personally, I would also opt to get tickets ahead rather than spend precious vacation time in line.
Nov 11th, 2005, 03:12 PM

We were in New York in Jan 2001, and the line for tickets was about 6 people in WTC as opposed to Times Square. Obviously, sadly, this booth is no longer there, but is there a place with shorter lines?

We will be in NY the w/e before and the week of thanksgiving and we'd like to see a show, but like bwilliams do not want to waste time standing in line.
Nov 12th, 2005, 03:52 PM

There is a second TKTS booth near South Street Seaport, with vastly shorter (non-existent, when I went on a weekday August afternoon) lines. See their website at http://www.tdf.org/tkts/ for exact locations, hours, etc.

Enjoy your trip.
Nov 12th, 2005, 08:39 PM

we have always had better luck with south street seaport ticket booth; found it worth the trip there vs. times sq b/c we have never had more than a dozen people in line in front of us. have also used theatermania.com in past and had good luck on some shows, not so good on others; have to be flexible but might be worth checking out.
Nov 13th, 2005, 05:16 AM

Isn't it true that you can only get tickets for the next day at the South St. Seaport TKTS booth?

If you go , for example, Sat. morning, can you get Sat. afternoon tickets?
Nov 13th, 2005, 05:23 AM

You can get same day tickets at the South Street Seaport booth. Same, big selection, with smaller lines.
Nov 13th, 2005, 05:54 AM

Well I got two tickets to Mamma Mia for only $50 and they were front row seats. Sometimes being disabled pays off.
Nov 13th, 2005, 06:02 AM

venusfan, were those tickets gotten in a same-day lottery at the theater? Many shows offer $25 tickets in the first couple rows for same-day performances. You register at the theater and then at a certain time x names are drawn and they get then tickets.
Nov 13th, 2005, 06:04 AM

I got 4 same-day Mamma Mia tickets for $60 each at TKTS about 2 months ago on a Saturday.
Nov 13th, 2005, 06:10 AM

bill_boy, I bet that was the weekend after Labor Day! If so, you lucked in on one of the year's slow weekends on Broadway.
Nov 13th, 2005, 06:19 AM

It was in mid-August and I realized that I lucked out when those behind me were denied any Mamma Mia tickets.
Nov 13th, 2005, 07:10 AM

You were indeed lucky, even for a slow time of the year.
Nov 13th, 2005, 08:10 AM

i don't understand why so many people want to stand in a line on their vacation to see if they can get tickets to a show, that they could have gotten ahead of time at the same discount by going online.
Nov 13th, 2005, 08:29 AM

Why not. especially when not everybody are into doing things well ahead in advance and had to do things at the spur of the moment. Especially as it took us all of 10 minutes to stand in line in the middle of Times Square during a perfectly nice day.

Oh, and I live here in NYC and my guests and I found that there was nothing wrong with winging it when we decided to catch a Broadway musical.
Nov 13th, 2005, 12:31 PM

Earl30, the discounts available at TKTS are greater than any of the discout offers available elsewhere. That's why!
Nov 13th, 2005, 02:23 PM

I saw Mama Mia 3 years ago , got cheap tickets from TKTS , it was in February , I froze to death , stood in line for a half hour , but I was on a budget and offering the show to my cousin...and it was her first time in the U.S ! Well I paid 98$ for 2 front row seats , and it was WORTH freezing for a while !
I don't know if they do that in all theaters , but when I saw Chicago with my son , (that was 2 years ago!) , we showed up in the morning , and it was full , but we got 20$ standing tickets , so you're at the rear of the theatre but the view is excellent (not partial) , the show is supposed to be good if you don't get tired or bored (I didn't , but my 12 years old son disagreed...).So if you're on a budget and willing to see 2 plays instead of one for the same price , do go to TKTS (and use the Southstreet Seaport location , I heard of it days after I waited in line on Time Square !
ps:Mamma Mia wasn't the best show , but the warmest one , the whole audience sang along all the way , so did we (the whole world has heard of ABBA , you don't need to be Swedish or Anglo something to know the lyrics!), we both adored it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO