San Antonio O'Brien Historic Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed here? I was amazed at the low, low price but wondering if the hotel really isn't as nice as they make it sound.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 07:41 AM

I'm interested too...

Anyone?

Old Aug 7th, 2005, 09:50 AM

I've never heard of it and I lived in SA for several years.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 10:16 AM

This is a relatively new place, having been opened just a couple years ago. It is a great example of the strong San Antonio ethic of conservation/adaptive reuse of existing buildings rather than the teardown/build again approach. Have not stayed here so cannot comment from personal experience. Tripadvisor reviews seem to be pretty favorable. I do know the the location and it is just a bit south of the thick of things, easy stroll to the Riverwalk, La Villita, Convention Center. Not at all in the "boonies" just not right in the midddle of the tourist activity. There are a couple budget/moderate properties that have opened in the general area. The trolley that makes a circuit through downtown stops right nearby. It is part of the Clarion chain, so I would not expect five star posh, but the reviews do sound pretty good. If you wind up staying there please post about your experience.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 10:20 AM

Thanks for the replies!

I have already checked out tripadvisor and was happy with the commentary.

What is leading me to stay here are cash vouchers I have from the Choice Hotel chain. I know that there are nicer hotels on the riverwalk, but they haven't sent me any money. I'd like to use them before they expire in about 6 weeks!

Old Aug 7th, 2005, 10:23 AM

If its south of river walk area that might explain the low price. There is more crime there...unless things have changed.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 01:11 PM

jorr - not sure how long you have been away, but that area has changed quite a bit over the last few years, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 12:21 PM

Seamus -

Thanks for putting me at ease.

By chance, do you have any restaurant recommendations that aren't too far? The inner kid in me still loves The Magic Time Machine for the atmosphere and the ribs at Tony Roma's are my favorite for miles and miles.

Old Aug 8th, 2005, 07:30 PM

Ah, the MTM - subject to endless ridicule by locals but beloved by tourists. Their Roman Orgy never fails to please, or at least amuse!
On the Riverwalk, Boudro's is excellent American bistro food. Zuni grill gets some good reviews; I thought it OK but nothing to rave about. Paesano's now has a place on the riverwalk, with pretty good Italian. A few blocks south of you is one of my favorites, Rosario's, serving some of the best Tex Mex around -- save room for the awesome chocolate flan dessert. If you want to travel a little try the funky Liberty Bar on East Josephine (site of the recent Fodors GTG) for its eclectic menu and great homemade bread. Other good places for Mex or TexMex are La Paloma Blanca (a bit further up Broadway in Alamo Heights) or La Fonda on Main in the Monte Vista area (but NOT any of the other places in town named La Fonda - they are pretty lousy.) If you do want to venture up to the Alamo Heights area, Silo on Austin Highway is a foodie's dream. And if you want to venture outside the loop to Castle Hills, the Lodge is excellent.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 07:46 PM

I have stayed at this hotel and it was nice. It is clean and quite which is all I ask in a hotel. The area is safe and it is an easy walk to most things unless you have small children.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 04:25 AM

Seamus -

Sounds like you enjoy eating out as much as I do! Thanks for the lengthy list. Shame we will only be there 2.5 days! Guess we will just have to do some non-stop eating!

Matt - Thanks for the feedback too. We are A-ok, no kiddos!
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 08:34 AM

Ah, 2.5 days hardly lets you scratch the surface! With that timeline, I would prioritize Rosario's and
Boudro's.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 03:01 PM

2.5 days are better than no days! Funny how the boss thinks I should come to work...

Old Sep 8th, 2005, 04:09 PM

We really enjoyed our trip to SA. The O'Brien was a nice boutique hotel in close proximity to the Riverwalk. Although not located immediately on the Riverwalk, it was just a short walk to access it. I would stay there again.

The hotel was very nicely furnished and the staff was very helpful. I was disappointed with the view of the "balcony rooms." Our view was that of a parking lot and the artist area La Villita. Perhaps I should have asked "What view would be had from the balcony" before getting excited about having a balcony view! Oh well, it was a nice place to enjoy breakfast in the morning. There isn't a place downstairs at present to sit down and enjoy breakfast so we took it back up to our room.

I was surprised to see that the Segway tour ventured past the hotel. We had our guide take our picture in front of the hotel while on the tour. If you haven't seen that thread, I really enjoyed the segway tour offered by Segcity close to the Alamo.

Seamus - A million thanks!! You gave some great recommendations for restaurants! We went to Boudro's for our first meal. I wish I had enough room for desert but we were far too stuffed to attempt it! Casa Rio offered a filling lunch but you were right about Rosario's. It is certainly superior to the other Mexican restaurants we've tried in SA. I wish I were not the one driving. I would have loved trying one of their award winning margaritas!