San Antonio hotel location?

Old Mar 7th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Gin
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Antonio hotel location?

We have never been to San Antonio and plan to go for 5 days in Nov. We are looking at the Drury Inn-Riverwalk, or maybe the Emily Morgan, among others. Any general remarks about these two hotels is appreciated, but, my big question is whether or not a Riverwalk location is a must for a first time visitor. Thanks in advance.
Virginia
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Gin
Original Poster

ttt
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 05:28 AM

I've been there twice at very nice hotels but not on the Riverwalk. However, each time I found myself wishing I had booked a hotel right on the Riverwalk. Did it ruin my trips? No. It's a quick walk from most of the poplular hotels. But when I go next time I'm finding a place right in the middle of things.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 05:37 AM

I think a stay on the Riverwalk is a must - whether you are a first timer or not. H and I try to go for a one night getaway every Dec. and we stay on the Riverwalk (Marriott, Westin). I reccommend the Westin. If you are a gov. employee you can get a rate of about $99 a night. However, the other two you mention are nice too. Never stayed at either myself. You might try Tripadvisor.com for more ideas.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 07:18 AM

Either one is fine. The Emily Morgan is just a couple blocks across Alamo Plaza to the Riverwalk, and is a bit nicer than Drury. Given the choice I'd go with Emily.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Gin
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input. I would love to stay at the Westin, but as I'm not a Gov't employee, the rates for me are a tad too high. I'm not through looking for a good Westin rate, but I think we're going to end up at the Drury.

Happy trails!
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Kal

Gin,
Stayed at the Emily Morgan 2-3 yrs ago. Had a very large, nice room overlooking The Alamo. Was surreal at night. Large jacuzzi tub.

Good location and within stumbling distance to the RivWalk.
We also stayed at the Menger which is another great old hotel with history located on the other sie of The Alamo.

BTW, both the Emily and Menger are rumored to be haunted.

We loved the Riverwalk. "New Orleans with a river thru it". You have to take the boat ride at night. Beautiful.
Great food-good people San Antonio is.