San Antonio - best restaurant bets on/near Riverwalk

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be there in mid April w/ 2 teens and 8 yr old. I don't care for most TX/Mex w/ loads of cheese sauce and refried beans. We're staying at Amerisuites downtown...what are some good bets for lunch and dinner. To narrow it down a bit...maybe one nice dinner out...something on the Riverwalk...no Dick's or Planet Hollywood types.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 01:22 PM

I like Casa Rio. Traditional Tex-Mex fare, and my kid likes throwing a few tortilla chips to the flocks of ducks who always come swimming up to our table...

Have fun!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 01:56 PM

Casa Rio is total dreck. The original poster specifically asked for non-tex/mex rec's.

I'd suggest Las Canarias in the Hotel Mansion. Excellent regional cooking and service. You can sit outside if you want.

Boudros is good if you want to sit on the riverwalk. If you want really high-end, try La Reve.

For lunch, try Shilo's deli (across the street from the RW) great split pea soup and homemade root beer. For breakfast, take a walk to market square and go to Mi Tierra for a mexican breakfast.

Hope you have a good time!
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

eyeski - thanks...We'd been to Shiloh's but forgot that they had homemade root beer so that'll be a must try as our teens love RB. Have been to Boudros but it was a while ago so will take the kids.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 04:40 PM

Boudros is OK. I like the atmosphere outside and love the guacamole salad. Rosarios is good tex mex if you can handle that--things aren't drowning in cheese sauce. I love their chalupa pescadore (sp?)...nice and fresh tasting, not heavy. It's not on the river but on S. Alamo St, not far from your hotel. I haven't tried El Mirador (St Mary's) but hear good things about that as well.

Best in downtown is Le Reve already mentioned, but our dinner there ran well over $125 PP...and worth every cent. You don't do Le Reve with kids!! We also really enjoy Pesca in La Mansion's sister hotel, The Watermark. Their restaurant is on the river, same side as Boudros but up past the Hyatt.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 08:08 PM

Another vote against Casa Rio - ironically, some of the worst Tex Mex food in town, but in a great location. TioGringo, how many maragaritas had you drunk when you ate there? ;-)
Malesherbes has hit it bang on about the best bets on/near the Riverwalk. If you are willing to venture away from the Riverwalk, La Fonda on Main is excellent Mexican and Tex-Mex and not overloaded with cheese, grease and refritos. It would be a cab ride away but not too far. Biga on the Banks was one of the first restaurants with upscale aspirations on the Riverwalk and still draws a crowd, though I am not overly impressed with either their food or their service. El Mirador is famous for their delicious tortilla soup and other caldos, but may be a little too Tex Mex for your tastes.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 09:07 PM

Although the Quarry location is better I recommend Paesano's for Italian food (and I am a native New Yorker). Right on the water and has nice outdoor seating right on the river.

For breakfast I highly recommend the Gunther House.

All my other recos would be Tex/Mex.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 04:14 AM

Oh yes...how could I forget Gunther House...my lunchtime favorite!! Yum...veggie sandwich. Yum spinach salad with raspberry chipotle vinaigrette, then wreck all that healthiness with some of their delicious bread/rolls.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

ok so we went to Guenter house - just for salads and drinks on a sweltering (already 90 at 10am) day - good - quiet;
Boudors for dinner w/ a friend - the mojitos and the oyster salad/appetizer were wonderful; Shilo's - everyone loved the homemade rootbeer - very creamy - food was ok - diner style; Mi Tierra - stopped there for snack/breakfast/pastries - kids were entranced by the stunning # of pastries and tried several - very cheap, we also had a large fruit cup and a breakfast plate - both very tasty and inexpensive; Paesano's - good service, food was just ok, wine was expensive; my favorite (of course) Taco Cabana - pollo flameante 1/4 chicken white...homemade tortillas and stopping by HEB Central Market on Broadway for tastings of cheese, bread etc etc