Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Antonio - Favorite Restaurant on River Walk?

Old Sep 17th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, guys - looking for suggestions for favorite restaurants on the River Walk in SA. We like Boudro's - any other ideas? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Restaurants off the river walk are okay too - has anyone tried Rosario's or Guenther House?
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 03:00 PM
dmlove

We had breakfast at Guenther House and liked it. Not spectacular (I don't really think you can screw up breakfast all that much, or make it that much better than the next guy), but very good.

(P.S. We ate at Boudro's at your suggestion and like it - solid, good food, great location, nice decor. We also ate at a Mexican place that we didn't think was very good. I think it started with an "A")

Old Sep 17th, 2008, 03:53 PM
OO

Guenther House is only breakfast and lunch, but very very good. It's one of my favorite places to eat downtown.

I like Rosarios too. It's loud, if that bothers you, but if you are hungry for TX-Mex, it will surely hit the spot. Chalupas pescadoro...yum...probably murdered the spelling, but you get the idea.

Pesca can be very very good (better than Boudro, IMHO), or so so. They and the Mansion have been bought and they were better before.

We ate at Biga a couple of weeks ago. It gets great reviews, but I wasn't overly impressed. It was OK, but now up to what I'd heard about it! Service was excellent, no complaints there.

Le Reve, if you are into spending $120 pp, is fabulous....but hardly the norm in San Antonio. I love it for a special occasion. Reservations a must and days and days in advance.

Acenar...OK to good Mexican.

Away from the Riverwalk but not too far if you have a car and are willing to travel, I love Cappy's up Broadway in the Alamo Heights area. Eat on the patio if possible!
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, guys!
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 07:08 PM
dmlove

Acenar (see, it does start with an "A") is the one we ate at. Only OK for us.

Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 10:14 AM

Hi, OO - heading to San Antonio in a couple of days - what do you get at Le Reve for the $120 ?? 3 course, 4, 5 ?? Wine ?? We have a reservation but now I'm scared of the prices !! Thanks
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 10:48 AM

Timely post We're heading to the Alamodome this Saturday for the local HS football playoff game. Always looking for a new place to eat.

Now, to go check the websites for Boudros, Rosarios and Pesca.

Thanks!
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 02:09 PM

Anyone been to Le Reve lately ? We have a reservation - need to know if we should cancel out ??
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 02:10 PM

need to know if we should cancel out

Why? Have you heard something that makes you think you should?
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 02:38 PM

I have been looking all over for reviews - found Mobil Travel Guide - didn't look too good !! Overpriced and not much food for the money - people left hungry !
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 04:02 PM

Well, now I understand why you asked!
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 04:08 PM

Hi sf7303 - doesn't look too good on Mobil !!

Anyone been to Le Reve ? How does it compare to BIGA ?
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 06:19 PM

JerseySue - I responded on your other post about La Reve before seeing this one, that's why I asked if you had reservations. While I have not been there in a while, it still gets great reviews and I would not cancel. It is definitely far superior to Biga. Biga started out great but has been riding on its reputation for a long time. It is not awful, but nothing to rave about, the kind of place that is more enjoyable from a literary than gustatory perspective (menu descriptions are better than the actual food) much of the time.
Rosario's is GREAT if you don't mind a little dining room chatter as background for your meal. The seafood chiles rellenos are to die for, and save room for chocolate flan for dessert. If you want good Mex /TexMex in a quieter environment, head to La Fonda on Main (ONLY the location on Main - other places named La Fonda are nowhere near as good) which is operated by the same family that runs Cappy's. Picante Grill on Broadway across from the Witte serves Mexican food that is much better than the building would suggest. Or for good Mexican food in a nice setting try La Paloma Blanca on Broadway.

volcanogirl - sad to say that much of the Riverwalk food these days is OK but not fabulous. Boudro's has been reliably good in the past but lately a bit inconsistent. In addition to the above mentioned off the Riverwalk places, The Lodge in Castle Hills is great. Silo on Austin Highway is in an unassuming neighborhood but was one of the first "foodie" places in town and continues to be consistently good. If you are in the mood for Thai, across the street from Silo is Tong's Thai.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 03:10 AM

Thanks Seamus !! I think we will try LeReve. I'll write when we get back and let everyone know about our experience there. We loved French Laundry and others didn't !!
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

We ended up going to Boudro's and Guenther House and enjoyed them both. The weather was nice, so eating outside at Guenther house was great; the food was pretty simple, but good. Did not get a chance to try Rosario's, but it's definitely on the list for next time. I think all the River Walk restaurants tend to be overpriced, but you're paying for the ambiance I guess. I was surprised how hard it was to get into Boudro's - tried to make reservations and couldn't get in until 9:30, so if you're interested, book early. I love their tableside guacamole. Everything else we had was great too. Of course this was after being without power for several days because of Ike, so we would have loved anything that wasn't peanut butter on a bagel! I would love to try La Reve for a special occasion.

We also ended up doing a Segway tour that was really fun. I had never been through the King William area - really pretty. Thanks to everyone for the help. Seamus, I'll look into your suggestions for our next trip. They all sound great.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 09:30 AM

had never been through the King William area - really pretty.

Did you stop for a snack (tea?) at the Mad Hatter Tea House? Very cute and funky.