Reload this Page >

Best Tex-Mex in San Antonio?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 04:41 PM
Julie

Will be in San Antonio for a conference in a few weeks and we'd like to go out for some great Tex-Mex. Any recommendations? We'll be staying at the Hyatt on the Riverwalk.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 08:25 PM
J

Try Boudros on the river and Mi Tiara at the market square.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 08:27 PM
Paco

Close to your hotel is the Old Original Mexican Restaurant, best tex mex on the Riverwalk. Avoid a place called Casa Rio - a real tourist trap with medioce (at best) food. Mi Tierra in the Market Square also gets a lot of tourists, also with mediocre food. If you are willing to travel a short distance, try La Fonda on Main (but NOT the other two restaurants in town also called La Fonda) or Los Barrios. This last is getting a lot of good press lately so there will llikely be a wait, but it's good Tex Mex. Another option is La Fogata on Vance Jackson.
Enjoy!

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 09:54 AM
nicole

I like Pico de Gallo which is near downtown on the west side of IH 35, right off the highway.

http://www.pico-de-gallo.com/

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 08:04 AM
laura

Rio Rio on the Riverwalk is good with huge portions.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 08:16 AM
x

Pico De Gallo is nice because it is very close to the Market area, but not as packed as Mi Tiara.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 08:19 AM
Ms. Ghost

Do a search on www.chowhound.com as there have been lots of threads on this topic on their Southwest board

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 08:56 AM
ava

Try Chuy's on Broadway- it is a short taxi ride from downtown, but well worth it if you want something more interesting then a tourist trap which is what you will find downtown on the riverwalk.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 12:28 PM
g

Mi Tierra does not have mediocre food. I grew up in San Antonio and, while Mi Tierra is certainly more frequented by tourists than it the past, it still offers pretty good food. La Margarita is also in the Mexican Market (El Mercado area) and is owned by the same family - also good food. Steer clear of Pappasito's. If your group will be out late and you are really craving Mexican food, Taco Cabana is a chain of fast-food Mexican but is nothing like Taco Bell - I wouldn't suggest it for your "real" Tex Mex dinner, but it wouldn't be a bad suggestion for a late night out or for a quick lunch. Chuy's is a great suggestion - not quite the Tex Mex or Mexican most people expect. If you go there, make sure to get a t-shirt. San Antonio is a wonderful city - hope you have time to explore a bit and have fun.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 12:29 PM
mjoy

My hands down favorite is La Fogata. It's farther north off of Vance Jackson I believe but worth the trip!

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 08:28 AM
texas

I would highly recommend Chuy's- I have never ever had a bad meal there (and I am really picky about where I eat out), and the decor is funky and much more interesting than most mexican restaurants. There is also live music and cheap beer every Thursday night. I promise you will love it!

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 09:18 AM
ann

Okay- Chuy's a chain- SA has a lot more to offer than that!!! I would highly recommend Los Barrios on Blanco or Paloma Blanca on Broadway! They are the best. You can also go to www.mysa.com and look at the local's best picks. Please don't waste time at a chain- you'll find better elsewhere! Have a great time! Oh and by the way, The Original Mexican Restaurant is owned by a friend of mine, but it's not very good. (don't tell them I said that).

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 09:47 AM
nicole

Ann - if Chuys is a chain, so is the Mi Tierra/La Magarita/Pico de Gallo group. There are only 4 Chuys in Austin/San Antonio, I dont think that makes it a chain like Papasitos. It is good stuff but definitely a different flavor than the rest of S.A. tex mex.

Los Barrios is a great recommendation for authentic S.A. tex mex. Mi Tierra/La Magarita/Pico de Gallo have the ambiance of authentic S.A. tex mex restaurant.

If you want to know what Austin is like, go to Chuys it is exactly like the people you will find in Austin - laid back, young, funky and lively.

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 12:07 PM
dede

Chuy's is definitely a chain. It is New Mexico food, not Tex Mex. The chain is located in New Mexico and Arizona and Texas. Chuy's is very popular with teenagers, young adults and children. If you are looking for "TEX MEX" food, Chuy's is not the place.

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 02:44 PM
texas

I agree, Chuy's is not the place. Well unless you like the velveta like cheese substance kind of food.

To find good mexican food in SA, you probably need to venture into one of the older (off the beaten track) neighborhoods.

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 03:36 PM
10 go

The lowdown:
1. Chuy's is a cross between Santa Fe Mex and McDonalds with a liquor license thrown in
2. Taco Cabana is how you say fast food in Tex Mex
3. Mi Tierra has food that is passable but not worth the hassle
4. Good Tex Mex can be had at La Fogata, Los Barrios (be prepared to wait), Paloma Blanca, La Fonda on Main, Picante Grill on Broadway, and a few dozen others that your concierge, desk clerk, maid, bartender, etc. wil be able to recommend
5. Casa Rio remains the object of local scorn, with good reason

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 06:12 AM
austinite

www.chuys.com

Maybe there is more than one but the one on Broadway/Sunset is not New Mexico or Sante Fe mexican food. They do not have a location outside of Texas.

They are definitely a different flavor than San Antonio tex mex. They don't use lard and everything is not dripping in grease.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 02:15 PM
b

Wow, I bet Julie never thought she would ask such a loaded question! There are so many strong opinions about Tex-Mex or authentic Mexican food. Everyone has their own opinion so, Julie, if you haven't gone to SA yet, I would suggest trying more than one of the restaurants suggested. As someone who grew up in San Antonio and still spends 4 to 5 months there every year (not just a transplant or someone who only has visited), I agree with some of the restaurants mentioned and vehemently disagree with others. But part of the fun of traveling is finding "treasures" of your own, so try some of those listed and try one that no one mentioned. Good luck!