Salem: Hawthorne or Waterfront Hotel?

Old Sep 15th, 2005, 10:29 AM
newbie_barbie

Salem: Hawthorne or Waterfront Hotel?

Both are available and comparable in rate? Anyone stay at either recently? I've heard negative comments on the waterfront area at night for walking, but not sure if it's reliable. Thanks in advance.

Old Sep 15th, 2005, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cannot speak to the Waterfront Hotel as I have not stayed abreast of it's status since I moved away from Salem. However I lived in Salem for many years and can tell you that the two hotels are very close to one another - 5 minute walk. I have enjoyed many lovely occassions at the Hawthorne Hotel and the location is extremely convenient for downtown and waterfront attractions. Enjoy your visit and don't forget that you must use caution when walking at night in any city!
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 07:10 PM

I don't think you have to worry about the waterfront area. A major difference between the 2 hotels is that the waterfront one is very very new and the Hawthorne Inn is a very very old historic hotel. They are both very close to each other.
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 06:05 PM

The Hawthorne will give you a better feel for old New England and the history of the area.
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 09:13 PM

Not familiar with the new Waterfront, but the Hawthorne Inn is surely vintage - last we stayed there room was seriously in need of updating. We love the cocktail lounge there. Dining room has it's ups and downs.
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 12:58 PM
newbie_barbie

Thank you all. Decision was made easy. I guess I waited too long, the Waterfront Hotel sold out on the first night, and the Hawthorne had one room left. Didn't think Salem in September was that popular.