Search

memphis hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
memphis hotel?

Hi --

My partner and I will be staying 2 nights in Memphis on our way to Texas for the holidays. We will be there on the Wed and Thurs before Christmas. We would like to do stuff on Beale Street, but we hope to sleep well at night (i.e. avoid too much noise). Where would you recommend for a reasonably quiet conveniently located hotel? We are 40ish, like music but are usually back in our room by midnight or so.

Thanks!
Shelley
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 03:42 AM

I've got a couple of recommendations - the Marriott Residence Inn, which is an all-suite hotel downtown (kitchens in every room) and the Madison Hotel. If you opt for the Madison, I suggest you avoid their least expensive room, because although it's very nice, the bathroom is small and there's no bathtub, only a shower. Both these places are within walking distance of Beale Street, and the best people-watching lobby/bar in the world at the Peabody Hotel.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 03:56 AM
cd

We just stayed at the Peaabody for 175.00 per night plus tax. Their rooms are small, because it is an older historic hotel, but well appointed. I loved the bed! So very comfortable with a feather comforter and triple, ironed sheets! The Hampton Inn is their sister hotel, next door to the Peabody with newer, larger rooms. The next time we drive to Houston, we will try that one to see the difference.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 03:58 AM
cd

p.s. Forgot to add that both hotels are about a block to Beale Street.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 08:11 AM

Check out the Doubletree Downtown. It is right by the Peabody. It just a had a major renovation and is getting good reviews on trip advisor. I booked it for a couple of nights in Feb for $129 a night (AAA rate). I was shocked at the prices of hotels in downtown Memphis. The Hampton Inn is going for close to $200 in Feb.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 08:44 AM

I loved the Hampton Inn, but it was noisy. We were on the street side, which was fun, but even on a Sunday it was noisy way into the wee hours. We liked the location, and would go back, but you should probably consider the other posters' suggestions.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Fairhope

You didn't mention the Peabody ducks!! After a libation or two in the bar, watching the ducks march back up is quite entertaining.

Old Dec 12th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions. One more question -- we are going to have a ton of things in the car that will need to be unloaded so we are wondering if it might be easier to stay in a suburban hotel in east Memphis and drive or take a cab to downtown at night. Does anyone know how far away the hotels in east Memphis are from downtown? How much would a cab cost? Or would it just be better to stay downtown? I am mostly worried about having easy parking for unloading the car. Thanks so much!

Shelley
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 05:07 AM
cd

I do not have the answer to your question but I do have an opinion I would not consider staying anywhere except in the thick of things. May I ask what you are unloading for two days? Parking at the Peabody is not handy unless you opt for the valet parking which is 25.00 a day but you could unload at the door and let them park the car for you. I don't know about parking at any other hotels. My impression of Memphis is that away from the downtown area it becomes somewhat "seedy" Could be wrong, have only been there twice.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 05:52 AM

Re the Doubletree downtown next to the Peabody - the location is fabulous but they've got some serious staff - and hotel - problems. When we stayed there our room air conditioner was frozen and after calling the front desk and waiting for maintenance to arrive (he said, "yes, it's broken") we had another wait for a room that smelled strongly of smoke - it was supposed to be non-smoking. The next morning when we called valet service to have our car brought around, it was "lost." It took a VERY long time to retrieve it and the woman who finally got us reconnected with our car said, "Don't nobody around here know nothing about nothing." Boy, was she right.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 06:27 AM

SusanCS, RE Doubletree
How long ago were you there? It looks like it is next to Peabody, correct?
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 06:35 AM

I have stayed at several hotels near Poplar Ave - the Hampton Inn & Suites and Embassey Suites (I think the actual address for both is S. Shady Grove). Cab ride from the airport is always about $20. Not sure about from downtown. Drive time to downtown is about 15-20 minutes. Both have convenient parking. Embassey Suites is nicer and has a good breakfast.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 08:24 AM

Susan-Looks like the Doubletree renovation was finished around Oct of this year-used to be a Radisson. Just curious when you stayed there. People who have stayed there in the last couple of months seemed to like the hotel although there seemed to be a few problems with staffing. I booked the hotel because I could get a $129 rate, the location was good and I was hoping that any bugs would be worked out by Feb.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 09:12 AM

I stayed at the Hampton Inn Peabody place and loved it. It was by far the nicest Hampton Inn I have ever stayed in and the breakfast was great. Our rooom was on the side that faced Beale Street but we never heard anything. The staff was friendly and the rooms were clean. I have recommended this hotel to friends also. Good luck,
Audrey in NC
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Looks like it might be better for us to stay downtown, even with all of our xmas gifts to unload. Several folks mentioned "seedy" or safety. Is Memphis that bad? I grew up in Houston so I am no stranger to sketchy neighborhoods.

Old Dec 14th, 2005, 03:31 PM

Another vote for Hampton Inn Peabody or Doubletree. They are both VERY near the Peabody, which is way overpriced for tiny rooms. (Unlike the one in Little Rock which used to be an Excelsior.) You can still enjoy the amenities of the Peabody - shopping, ducks, etc. Memphis has its bad areas and nice areas but the location around the Peabody is one that I like.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 03:35 PM

I was only in Memphis once, for two nights. Didn't find it sketchy at all.

We stayed at the Peabody and were bumped up to Club Level (or something? it had to do with the credit card I'd put the room on)--it was fantastic.

Definitely visit the Civil Rights Museum while you're there.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 03:36 PM

p.s. Our room at the Peabody was quite large, but again we were "bumped up."
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 03:59 PM

We stayed at the Peabody and had a corner room. It had a small sitting area with sofa and armoire and a nice bathroom. The room looked recently renovated. The Hampton is in a great location but the rooms are plain, pricey, and small. We booked the Peabody on Hotwire. Also, if you stay at the Peabody use valet parking. The parking there is a pain and quite a walk.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 04:12 AM

We stayed at the Doubletree after the renovation...we used to stay there when it was a Raddison. Yes, it's right across the street from the Peabody in a great location. As for the Hampton Inn at Peabody Place, if you opt for staying there, I'd ask for a room on the opposite side of the hotel from Beale Street. We've stayed at that hotel several times, but had a really bad experience with Beale Street noise once - I ended up trying to find some peace and quiet sleeping on the bathroom floor! I might add that they comped our room after we called to see if we could get moved and they were full. Very nice policy!