Search

Memphis Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2015, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Memphis Hotel

Can anyone local in Memphis let me know anything about the area of the Hampton Inn-Poplar? Really wanted to stay downtown but financially don't think we can. I like Hampton Inns and this one has a good rate for our dates.

Any suggestions/comments re: the location for 2 ladies traveling to Memphis for the first time would be appreciated. Thx
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Sorry I forgot to provide the actual address which is
5320 Poplar Ave, Memphis.
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 11:25 AM

Have you looked at the Comfort Inn Downtown Memphis located at 100 N. Front Street? My young adult daughter and her friend stayed there a couple years ago. They chose this hotel because it was located downtown near Beale Street, got "Excellent-to-Very Good" reviews on Trip Advisor and had very affordable room and parking rates (only $10/night). This might work for you as well.
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 12:21 PM

This property is in a busy area with shopping and restaurants. One drawback is that an active railroad track runs behind the property and can be noisy. Hotwire sometimes has good rates on downtown hotels.
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 03:54 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm sure you already know this, but if not...
no matter where you stay, go see the Peabody ducks!
http://www.peabodymemphis.com/peabody-ducks/
The original ducks have long since gone, but after nearly 80 years, the marble fountain in the hotel lobby is still graced with ducks. The Peabody ducks march at 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. daily.
Old Jan 21st, 2015, 07:28 PM

I live in Memphis. The Hampton Inn you have selected is a block down from a railroad track which is used a few times a day. I live in this area of town. Poplar is the main street through town. Even without the train, there is constant traffic until late night. Your saving grace is that there is a stop light to get you in and out of that property.

I do not know your budget, but just about a mile east of there are several motels on South Shady Grove. They are about a block north of Poplar. They are Embassy Suites, Comfort Inn and Hampton Inn. I have stayed in all three when we've had bad weather that has left us without power.

There is also a Hampton Inn on Humphreys Center Drive which is cheaper than the one on South Shady Grove, but it is next to a hospital and a really busy weekday traffic area.

There is also a Doubletree on Sanderlin Avenue that it is in the same area of town. All these that I have mentioned should be safe for two women traveling alone.

If downtown is where you want to visit and can stay in the Hampton Inn or Comfort Inn downtown, those should be safe options also.

Anywhere you stay that is on or located near Poplar is helpful in navigating from anywhere in the city to downtown. Poplar literally runs from the river all the way out east and out of the city. Happy travels.
Old Feb 6th, 2015, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies. After additional thought, we decided to rent a car. I don't mind driving and by co-traveler is great with maps. So we have solved our accommodation issue.

dmrt - thanks for the info about Poplar being a cross street east/west.

I just added the Crystal Cave to our list of things "to do." While we will definitely be doing Elvis/Graceland and several of the music venues are there other unusual things not to miss? We are doing a Taste Round Town restaurant tour. I like local markets - Farmer's and/or Flea. Any of those going on in mid-April?
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 10:24 PM

There are a variety of farmers' markets around town most Saturdays. For a schedule of flea markets and other such gatherings go to www.agricenter.org. The Agricenter is a big arena where we have home shows, crafts shows, flea markets, etc.. It is in the same general area of town that your hotel is in.
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 08:47 AM

I am not sure of which music venues you are visiting so the couple I am mentioning may be on your list. We have enjoyed visiting Sun Studios, Rock 'n' Soul Museum, and Stax Museum. A historical site we found interesting is the National Civil Rights Museum.

http://www.sunstudio.com/
http://www.memphisrocknsoul.org/
http://www.staxmuseum.com/

http://civilrightsmuseum.org/